Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking at the Maxxis Big Horn. Curious about fitting...

The stock Polaris tire size is: Front- 26x8x14 Rear- 26x10x14
The Maxxis Big Horn are offered in: Front- 26x9x14 Rear- 26x11x14

Will the BigHorn tires fit in this larger size?
Do we need wheel spacers or other mods if we go with this size?
What's the difference between the Maxxis Big Horn and Big Horn 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I can't attest to the size issues as it appears to have an XP. As far as the difference between BHs and BH 2.0s, 2.0s are lighter. I believe this is achieved by thinner lugs (which is apparent when comparing the two).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they offer the Big Horn's in: Front- 26x8x14 Rear- 26x10x14 ?
Do you recommended the BH's or the BH 2.0 ?
They are just a great looking tire and tread.
Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For the rear you will need a 1" inch spacer plus you'll need to trim down the passenger foot bracket.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the bighorn 2.0 and they fit fine in the front and rear on my 2009. I did have to bend the rear sway bar a little but not much. It should not be a problem on new model XPs as they changed the sway bar.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you have an XP with 14 inch rims, do not spend the extra money for the 2.0. The difference in weight is only 1/2 a pound. Go to the Maxxis site they have a weight chart and which points this out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I should have mentioned we have a 2010 Sportsman 850 Touring EPS.

Do they make the BH's in the stock tire size?.... Front- 26x8x14 Rear- 26x10x14

If the BH's aren't available, what is a good tire upgrade available in the stock size?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the rear you will need a 1" inch spacer plus you'll need to trim down the passenger foot bracket.
I see you have the BH's on your 2011 850 Touring and 1.5" spacers.
If you use spacers, do you need longer lug bolts?
Did yo have to upgrade suspension?
How much of the passenger foot bracket needs to be trimmed?
Does the larger tires affect your speedometer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yea what's the point of the bighorn 2.0 I was doing some research and the weight difference is very minimal! Anybody know any actual weighs?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea what's the point of the bighorn 2.0 I was doing some research and the weight difference is very minimal! Anybody know any actual weighs?
I'd be interested in more on the difference between the BH & BH 2.0?
Is the 2.0 a smaller lug size and better fitment on some models?

We don't know if going with an upgraded tire size or keeping the stock tire size is the best way to go. I'm leaning toward keeping her stock to avoid too much trimming or necessary add-ons and such due to a larger tire. Hmmm.....???

·
Registered
434 Posts
Muddy, I purchased a set of used 26" Bighorns for my '13 850 Touring. Same as yours. They are wider tires than stock. This in my opinion is a good thing. The stock tires don't stick out past the wheels and when you slip off rocks they scrape straight up the wheel and tear them up. I think the extra tire over hang will prevent some of this.

I took mine out for a ride this weekend and found out they definitely rub the footwell support. I have yet to grind it back, but I really think you can grind it back enough to not need wheel spacers. I despise the idea of a wheel spacer due to its effect on ride and handling.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have the 2.0s. They were recommended to me by a buddy who's machine is much bigger than mine, and he rides harder too. I figured if they hold up for him, they'll definitely hold up for me. I got them last spring, and LOVE them. They hook up in anything. What a difference. I haven't had any problems with them. After two years, I think my buddy had to plug one but its still holding up fine.

The 2.0s are substantially lighter. I don't have the specs in front of me, but search it here, you'll find it. If it was a pound or two, I would have gone with the originals but I wanted to save weight on my 400, and I remember that the 2.0s were the obvious solution. The lugs are definitely not as deep as the originals, but the pattern is the same. I'd agree with many that the 2.0s are the bighorn 'junior' but they fit my purpose perfectly and have held up to some very hard riding. I recommend them for anyone, BUT if you have an 850 and have so much power to spare, you might as well just go with the originals, they're the same price anyway.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey easystreet,
Thanks for the great reply. We love the looks of the BH's but don't want to get into wheel spacers and lift kits and such. I worry about the tire rubbing, too. Wish they had them in the stock size for our Touring. I realize I have some add-ons on our Touring, but mostly it's stock. Kinda like that about it. Might have to think about this tire upgrade. I just took off the snow tracks and put the tires back on, yesterday. I will post some pics, but a more aggressive tire would be nice. I think it has some Maxxis tires that came stock on it. We only have 429 miles on this machine. It's been casually driven.

·
Premium Member
12,406 Posts
Original BH 26x9-14, 23.0 lbs, tread D=25/32
2.0 BH ". ", 21.2 lbs, ". ", tread W=-3/8

Original BH 26x11-14, 27.8 lbs, tread D=25/32
2.0 BH 26x11-14, 27.2 lbs, ". ", tread W=-3/8

On an 850 I would go with the originals. I have read the 2.0's clean out better. My next set will b originals.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Stock tires are trash! If you want a decent tire that's the same size as stock check out the STI black diamonds xtr! As far as the BH-BH 2.0 weight difference I believe it's less than 5lbs for 4 tires

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey defleppardsg,
I do like the lighter weight of the BH 2.0. We have an 850, but I'm carrying a passenger, and have the rear basket with gear, and sometimes towing a logging trailer. Need to keep it light. The Big Horns are nice looking design and tread. We've got some time before we can afford a new tire upgrade. We appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stock tires are trash! If you want a decent tire that's the same size as stock check out the STI black diamonds xtr! As far as the BH-BH 2.0 weight difference I believe it's less than 5lbs for 4 tires
Thanks Marvinfisher,
I looked at the STI Black Diamonds XTR. Those are baddass. I didn't see them in my stock size of Front 26x8-14 / Rear 26x10-14
They are available in Front 26x9-14 / Rear 26x11-14. But do I need spacers and a grinder to get this size to fit?

What about the Duro Power Grip? (I see these available in the stock tire size.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks BP405,
Appreciate the stats on the BH Originals & 2.0. I'm just wonder what tires will fit without too much hassle? Stock size seems the better option. We use her mostly on our property for work and casual rides. But, some aggressive tread would be nice while working.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts