Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
First off I am new to the forum but have read a lot of threads on here in the past, appreciate everyone's advice and assistance!

I am in the process of building a custom 4 speaker audio tube for my 2013 Sportsman 500. I did a ton of research before I started and i have to say it was extremely hard finding any advice or pictures of how people were building them for this bike and especially how they were being mounted!! This is what inspired me to join and create this thread. The racks on the 2011-2013 sportsman 500 just about flat out suck for strapping things down. Although I love my dry storage up front I find the steel racks much easier to secure things to!

Anyways, here are the photos of my project. This audio tube straps to the front rack perfectly and also fits on the back very nicely. I plan to leave it on the front of the atv when its not on the bedside of my service truck cranked up in the field. Hope this helps someone! Its a relatively simple build but one of very high quality and fitted for these machines perfectly. I can add detailed info of what I did in anyone needs it!

Speakers will be (4) 6.5" Infinity 612M Marine 225w 4ohm
Amp will be Clarion XC1410 50w X 4 channel RMS
Waterproof Bluetooth input module
Waterproof Aux input adapter

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice! Probably one of my next projects

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you plan to use any sound insulation on the inside? I think the PVC pipe would not be a good insulator all by itself.

I have one of these on my to do list, but thought about a "field goal" shape in a 2.1 audio configuration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't plan on using any sound insulation inside the pvc because I know it will sound good enough for me. I used schedule 40 pvc which is a lot thicker so that will help a little on the sound, but more so for durability. Plus having four 225w infinity speakers and a good 4 channel amp will put out a lot of quality sound. I looked into the boss tubes and others available on ebay and amazon... just wasn't that impressed. I came across a Whoolie Shop video on Youtube and that's when I knew i would be building my own custom tube. I can't wait for my amp and speakers to arrive so I can finish it up! I spent alot of time measuring and re-configuring to come up with this setup. Im very happy because it fits just as well on the back as it does the front. I can go 2-up with the tube on the back if I really want to. I plan to spin the tube around and back it up to the bonfire at our next event.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks good! Stuff it lightly with cotton filler from craft store....the sound quality will be 100% better guaranteed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got done with mine over the weekend, sounds pretty good. Need to get some filler for it as it has a mild "hollow/tinny" tone to it.

I ended up using a 120w Pyle marine amp and it worked out pretty well. Remote volume knob, perfect size, waterproof headphone jack, variable gain... pretty much ideal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!
Indyred800- I Google’d the polly fill and saw that Newegg offers it, is there anywhere else I can pick the stuff up from like maybe Walmart? I have use “wadding” in sub boxes before but I got it from a buddy. I suppose I could just get the cotton type filler too… Probably not much difference?
Tweeter- Do you have any pictures of your setup? I’m always interested in seeing people’s custom builds. What model Pyle amp did you use? I really like the idea of the waterproof Bluetooth input adapter, don’t have to always have a cord plugged in.
My audio tube will be used on my pickups as much as it will on my ATV, if not more, and I’m really excited to hear how it sounds. Amp and speakers should be here mid-week. Has anyone ever used or seen a Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 amp? I might buy that amp and do a comparison between it and the Clarion XC1410.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Always used Rockford stuff in my vehicles. They make quality gear

·
Registered
962 Posts
Where are you guys mounting your amp ?

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My amp will mount inside the audio tube. I have seen guys mount them inside the front storage compartment on the 2011-2013 models, that also works well but takes up some room and the wire routing can be a pain. With the amp secured inside the tube it becomes a complete unit that can be removed. I don't plan to leave my tube on the machine unless its within my sight. I would like to think I can trust people but it's just too easy of a target for theft, and an expensive setup to lose.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I know people are mounting them in the tubes, but I wondered how they breathe. My Audiopipe has taken a dump (for the second time) so I'm getting ready to build a split tube. I think I'm going with a cheap Pyle amp I can mount in the tube until I see how it's going to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the Clarion XC1410 claims to be water resistant, meaning that hopefully the moisture won't get to it too badly. I have thought a lot about that too especially since im in NW Indiana. When the temp changes quickly in the mornings and evening I know it will sweat, thats why I went with all waterproof or water resistant components. From what I have read people are having really good success with the "whoolie shop" style tubes, and mine is very similar to theirs. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tweeter- Do you have any pictures of your setup? I’m always interested in seeing people’s custom builds. What model Pyle amp did you use? I really like the idea of the waterproof Bluetooth input adapter, don’t have to always have a cord plugged in...

For box filler I always just use a medium-density poly filler from any craft store. It's not exactly the same as what an electronics store will sell you but it's readily available and it's cheaper ($4 for 20 oz).

The amp I used was a Pyle PLMRMP1A 2-channel mp3 player/iPod marine amp. $46, variable gain, remote volume, RCA input, waterproof cover on 3.5mm connector port, it even came with screws for mounting.

The tube gets sanding and then paint next, then it's re-assembled and I'm just going to hit it with some RTV to seal it up (as opposed to a permanent PVC weld).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts