Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '09 550 Sportsman XP. I installed a winch and bought the front cargo box.

**CLICK ON ALL THE PICS TO VIEW THEM FULL SIZE**

I take my wife riding on the local trails and we fit nicely 2-up, both on the seat. Only problem is there isn't anything great to hang onto. The extended rack rail would help but not be the greatest. I knew what i wanted and couldn't find exactly what i needed so i designed a Lock n Ride add-on.

Here is the final piece:

I started with 1/2" treated plywood and added 4 LnR plugs ($15pr) and two handles i took off of a cheap trowel ($3ea) from menards. I countersunk the screws so they would not scratch my back rack.

Details about the LnR plugs: You can buy them from a Polaris Dealership or online for $15/pr. Here is a closeup look. I used the ones from my stock front rack since the cargo box came with two new ones. They were longer than the pair I bought. When locked down the rubber bushing expands, holding tight.

Next I removed the hardware and wrapped the plywood with a Camo canvas fabric. I cut some treated lumbar to a make a reclined backrest. Added wrap around padding, covered that with the canvas. Attached with stainless decking screws. Voila! Done!!

I had the lumber, screws and tools. I bought the fabric, padding, handles and a pair of LnR plugs. Total around $45 dollars.

MADE IN AMERICA :unitedstates:
Patent Pending :arco:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice work. And I thought adding a 2-up seat to the back of my 500 Sportsman with the aid of a riding lawn mower seat was clever. Yours looks great and easy to take on and off. Fully functional. Very well done. May have to get some of those quick release clamps for mine too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rug nuts you are the man, i have been drawing up designs to make this exact thing. Thanks for the time to put this on here you just made my life SO much easier. My wife will love this

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thats pretty sweet! I'm going to have to do something like that for me and my wife as well when she doesn't feel like riding her own quad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the compliments, guys!
when i get my xp back from its first service i'll post some pics of it mounted and in use.

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanx for the compliments, guys!
when i get my xp back from its first service i'll post some pics of it mounted and in use.
Please do. That's a GREAT mod and opens up other possibilities. Now all I have to do is find some of those Lock-N-Ride 'plugs' !

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This is so sweet. Thanks for the follow-up pics!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man that is awesome! I have been searching for something just like it. I recently bought an 800 and would love to build one. Would you be interested in sharing the deminsions and measurements.

Great Work! You should start selling these!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well as far as dimensions go, i placed the plywood on the back rack, traced the contours of it and cut it out. the rack on the 800 would be different i believe. and i think the seats are longer on the xp's because me and my wife both fit on the one-up seat, its too tight on the older sporties.

·
Registered
517 Posts
awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts