Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a post about the custom rear bumper I fabbed up in an afternoon. I said i would make a custom front bumper as well. I got the creative juices going and came up with this quick little sketch on MS Paint on how i want to run my pipes, I'm thinking 3/16" or Schedule 80 Cold rolled square tubing so it will be SUPER strong, the white dots on it being the mounting points so i don't have to actually modify the front bumper at all and its a quick and easy bolt on/off set up.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
That looks sweet. It looks a lot nicer than a lot of others bumpers I've seen. You could probably sell those. Atv Guru will be tough competition though

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could probably sell those. Atv Guru will be tough competition though
I don't have the set up to produce them in-mass unfortunately. So ATV Guru has nothing to worry about! I pick up the Steel tomorrow from the local distributor so we will see how it actually goes...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Cant wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Looks GOOD !!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I recently made a post about the custom rear bumper I fabbed up in an afternoon. I said i would make a custom front bumper as well. I got the creative juices going and came up with this quick little sketch on MS Paint on how i want to run my pipes, I'm thinking 3/16" or Schedule 80 Cold rolled square tubing so it will be SUPER strong, the white dots on it being the mounting points so i don't have to actually modify the front bumper at all and its a quick and easy bolt on/off set up.

What do you all think?
I think that concept looks great..... but you may want to verify that the lid will still open fully with the "raised center bar" to allow the Polaris logo to be viewable!! Otherwise I can't wait to see what you create this time..... I really liked the rear bumper you did!!

Additional thoughts:

1) A little expanded metal over the radiator (and maybe head lights) would be a nice touch too..... ???

2) For ease of fabrication and overall bumper strength, you may want to think about keeping your main vertical members as one solid piece, instead of getting narroower.... ???

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Prototype looks good!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Agree with Matt, need to be careful that the front box has clearance and can stay open.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at that, on the actual front end of the wheeler those two main sections that run down in front of the radiator will be straight up and down and welded solid just to the outside of the mounting points on the horizontal bar that bolts to where the plastic bumper bolts on. It may change, that's the puzzle to it; the lower mounting point are like an inch wider then the uppers. I was also thinking (and i still have to research this) if there is a metal frame behind the plastic just to the inside of where the headlights mount then ill drill a 3/8 hole in the plastic and run a threaded rod through it and have two upper supports for it, right now the only real strength that it would have would come from those two upper mounting spots and that wold make it pretty easy to twist or push in at the top.

As far as the raised center bar, it should open. the top of the bar itself wont actually go any higher than the hinges, I will look into that further
and the expanded metal is a great idea! ill look into getting some of that today.

Another "cosmetic" idea i had was to fill the Polaris letters with matching "sonic blue" color so you would have the raised center bar (which by the way i got the idea from the Westin truck brush guards) and the that would emphasize the blue lettering. Does anyone know how well that plastics takes paint?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
FYI.... There is no metal frame support behind/around the head lights on these..... it's all composit plastic, even how the lights mount.

Good, I love the look of the raised top bar and the blue paint idea..... looks sharp and really dresses it up! Just wanted to through the lid opening thought out there to check into.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I think the 2005+ are some of the best looking Sportsman's ever produced!! :fing02:

PS. Did you figure out your Shift Interlock Delete? I found a bolt at my local Farm Supply store, and just cut it down, and found an o-ring to seal it. If I remember right you may also have to sand/grind the points off of the hex head.... if you can't find a socket head!! ( Note, I used a lathe at work to do these bolt modifications).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI.... There is no metal frame support behind/around the head lights on these..... it's all composit plastic, even how the lights mount.
Dang! maybe I can come up with something behind that I can mate up the the closest support structure in there. I couldn't remember from when i was installing my winch. but then again I wasn't paying much attention to that area either.

PS. Did you figure out your Shift Interlock Delete? I found a bolt at my local Farm Supply store, and just cut it down, and found an o-ring to seal it. If I remember right you may also have to sand/grind the points off of the hex head.... if you can't find a socket head!! ( Note, I used a lathe at work to do these bolt modifications).
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, I have access to a lathe as well if i have to use it. I didn't quite understand you before but now i know what your saying! Your not even talking about taking that little cover off on the transmission. Your just talking about pulling that little release on the outside of the tranny that the foot pedal hooks up to and then replacing that with a small bolt.

I was talking about inside that little cover off the transmission and then pulling that counter shaft gear and replacing the Locking device under that with a few washers that are the same width of the locking device (not really sure what its called)

#63 on this page

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the metal! Only $49 for 24 ft of this stuff uploadfromtaptalk1395767068190.jpg nice and strong!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So its tacked up! uploadfromtaptalk1395794970103.jpg not exactly how my prototype was but hey. How often do things go exactly to plan

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good...howd you mount it? And its is 1" square tubing?
Currently its only mounted on the two lower bumper mount bolts, I made some special extenders that is basically a 5/16 18 bolt welded to a coupler nut that brings the mounting surface out far enough you can bolt the bars right to it without really modifying the plastic at all. I'm going to take the toolbox off tomorrow and see what i can come up with for upper mounts because its pretty flimsy at the moment.

The material is like 3/16 cold rolled 1" square tubing. Could be thinner i dont know the exact thickness

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The more I look at it the more I hate how high the points on the headlight guards are. I'm going to cop them off and go with the original plan. I don't know why but Last night I could not for the life of me comprehend what I was doing. I hit the wall...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd have to agree with you on the "points". Better yet, chop them and add flat stock like you did on the ends of the rear bumper.... tie the "looks" between the two together! Is the raised bar a bit high too..... or is it just camera angle?

PS, is that a little 110V model Hobart?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'd have to agree with you on the "points". Better yet, chop them and add flat stock like you did on the ends of the rear bumper.... tie the "looks" between the two together! Is the raised bar a bit high too..... or is it just camera angle?

PS, is that a little 110V model Hobart?
Its Partially the camera angle and partially the height of it. The bar actually sits about an inch and a half higher than the top of the letters, I figured it was a little high but when I got around to painting the Polaris logo it would look pretty sweet. But now that you point it out it does look a little high, I'll see what i can finagle it tonight. I'm kicking myself because instead of leaving it tacked up, I welded everything else so ill have to cut those with a chop saw somehow.

Yeah its a Hobart Handler 125 Mig-ready 115v and I love it! well for this kind of stuff.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts