Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
alphaplex20 , we are searching in the forests near Saint-Petersburg, where in 1943 russian troops were trying to run the german blockade of the city.

But every soldier has his own sad and heroic story..

GoodOleBoy, thanks for the good words!

·
Registered
114 Posts
love the paint job, very unique.

beautiful machine and work to get it where it is today.

thanks for sharing, loved seeing it go through some of the stuff you went through, and pulling the trailer through it!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
This is probably the best post I have ever subscribed to. Epic stuff!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
^^ I agree, must be exciting to find all those items.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in awe, your handy work with your atv is genius. But more important your work in recovering your fallen comrades is heroic. I salute you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Hello everyone !

A have not written for a long time, but now I have something interesting to show you.

After three months of searches, we managed to find the place of plane crash, that happend in 1942. The searches started based upon the stories, told by 2 eyewitnesses only. The swamp area, where the plane could be was about 70.000 square meters. First attempts were unsuccesful, but at last, in late November, we managed to find the place of plane crash !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Small fragments of the plane were found at thе depth of 1 meter, the bigger ones - at about 5-7 meter depth. After researching the fragments, we discovered the model of the plane - it was the soviet dive-bomber PE-2.

We went to the Moscow Museaum of Aircraft, to see the plane :

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
In january we went to the place of plane crush again.

The quad was modified with tracks:

The tracks were given to us by Aleksander from Moscow, who read about our activity in atv-blog and differents forums. As a result Aleksander offered us to use his own TATOU 4s track system absolutely for FREE.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow, didn't think your expedition or your quad could get any better but you've proved me wrong! Still the best thread on the forum!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
all I can say is WOW!!!!

and here I get all excited when we find an old still or barn back in the woods when we ride.

what was inscribed on the back of the belt buckle?

were both of the grenades russian made?

why did the old man walk out into the water up to his neck?

what are your thoughts on the trax system?

what do you do with all the big ordinance you find, those were some massive shells.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Today is the first time that I have seen this thread/post. This is awesome!!! I am retired Air Force and I have helped in the recovery of a pilot that went down in a swamp - very slow work. The only thing that made it easy for us was the fact that he had just crashed his plane (A-10) and it still took 2 weeks of hard work to recover as much of his body as we could.

Do you use gps and metal detectors to help find the artifacts? Going on an expedition and accidentally running over a mine will ruin your day. Have you tried using water pumps to drain the water from your digs? Or is there just too much water to even try to pump out?

Your trailer needs more ground clearance and larger/wider tires to help you get through the deep mud and water. I am sure that the tracks are a huge improvement as to how far you can go in to the swamps.

The led tail lights are amazing. The workmanship is top notch. All of your work seems top notch. That paint job is very nice looking. The new clutch belt that you installed, does it work better than the factory one? I have not seen one like that here.

I hope that the museums and the government are helping with funding your expeditions, even as noble as they are it cost a lot of money, time and people to do an expedition of this size.

Keep up the excellent work and keep sending us those great pictures and videos.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the best thread of any forum i have ever seen! I said "wow" out loud so many times, my family had to come look as they thought i was crazy!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
bgirard420, thank you !

roompainter, thanks !

- you mean that picture?

If that one - "GOTT MIT UNS"

- Yes, both grenades are soviet-made
- That man is not so old, as he looks like :) He is trying to find the pieces of the plane with a 6-meter long iron stick.
- Tracks are fantastic thing for our purpose. But I would not recommend to buy it for entertainment - the speed is to low to enjoy the ride. But for utility work they are irreplaceable - the quad goes through 1 meter thick snow without any difficulties
- When we find explosives, we mark the places in gps, and in the end of the expedition call local police sapper to disarm them.

twotxns, yep, working in a swamp is a a very exhausting thing

- Yes, we use gps and metal detectors in our searches. We have waterpumps, but in this swamp they are almost useless.

- That was snowmobile sledge, in future we plan to modify our atv-trailer into winter variant :

- Thanks for the leds and paint - it took a lot of efforts, but it was worth it. That belt was bought by a mistake, it has a different part number, and it is suitable for 2007-2011 Sportsmans. So after the expedition I bought the OEM belt and installed it.

- Unfortunately, goverment and museaums do not help us with funding, all the work we do is made by pure enthusiasm and self-financed.

In the nearest future we plan to dive in to the swamp, so stay tuned !

shakin , it is nice to understand, that our work evokes such emotions even outside Russian Federation. Thank you !

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would like to say you are a true hero and what you are doing is beyond words . In short if the world had a million more people like you it would be a better place . Also the soldiers you are finding are true heroes and deserve a peaceful rest god bless.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That trailer is really cool looking. Wouldn't 2 wheels with about 24" ground clearance be better suited or would it just turn over easier which is more dangerous.
Are you and your friends all in the military? I noticed what looks to us (Americans) like uniforms. I must say that if I ever win the lottery (Millions of free US dollars) I will gladly donate a large sum to you to help in your search for those who are still missing in action.
Like many men and women in the US, we have nothing against Russia and it's people. That's the way we were raised and taught in school up until the late 1980's.
Since you are not funded by the government, maybe you should start building more of those LED tail lights and sell them to us:veryhappy:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Jbert , thank you !

twotxns, just look the video, and you will understand, why we decided to build 4-wheel trailer with that type of suspension (rotating walking beam):

the most interesting part of the video begins from 1 min 55 sec:

Some of us are military persons, but also we have teachers, policemen, businessmen and students in our searching squad.

I would like to say, that it is very pleasant to meet such a good respond at the forum.

LEDs is my hobby, so I will spend all my life, soldering in the garage, if I decide to sell a large quantity of LED tail lights :)))

·
Registered
307 Posts
The trailer video is pretty cool. That looks like it should work out much better than your older red trailer.

Americans are much cooler now that we have a black president.:chairfall:

Be sure to keep us informed on your modifications and expeditions. For anyone who doesn't read Russian and who do not know how to translate DM35's reports - just copy the webpage address that you want translated and then go to google translate, paste the address on the left side and then it will convert the language for you. You will loose some of the translation but not all of it.

By the way, what is your first name?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
twotxns, I hope so - my quad and I recall the red trailer like a bad dream :))

My name is Dmitry, glad to meet you !

P.S. This year we plan to buy a second vehicle for our expeditions, we decided it will be Polaris Ranger 800. So, if everything will be okay, I plan to visit to USA in 2013, and one of the purpose of the visit will be Ranger"s purschasing. I will be glad to meet everyone from this thread :beerchug:

41 - 60 of 158 Posts