Polaris ATV Forum banner

Cut out switch

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
I've read previous threads on the subject mine is a little different. I replaced the whole assembly and it still cuts out. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Ok so what are we working on???

#7 ·
So when riding your machine the engine will randomly die and you can get it to restart by turning off and on the key switch or the kill switch on the left handlebar?

#9 ·
Makes me think maybe electronics are failing. Does yours have the reverse over ride button on the left handlebar? Small yellow button and do you have to hold it down every time you use reverse?

#12 · (Edited)
You need to determine if the problem is the kill switch, key switch, throttle safety switch, wiring or ignition problem - find the kill wire (black) at the CDI unit - unplug the wire and go riding (you will not be able to kill the engine until you plug the black wire back together) - if it still dies occasionally, the problem in in the ignition system - if it no longer dies, then you need to determine if problem in the key switch, kill switch, throttle safety switch or wiring. To start with (and think about this) does it only die when you let off the throttle like when slowing for a turn or otherwise decelerating? Put some slack in the throttle cable and go riding - problem gone, it was just the throttle cable adjusted too tight (not enough play). If the problem is still there, start the engine and unplug the key switch - problem still there, with the engine running, plug the key switch back in and unplug the handlebar switch (with either the key switch or the handlebar switch unplugged the electric starter will not work, but the switch that is plugged in will kill the engine when turned off) - if the problem is still there, with the engine running, unplug both switches (will not be able to kill engine until one of the switches in reconnected), if the engine still dies randomly, find the short in the black wire grounding to the frame or whatever. If unplugging a switch solves the problem, replace whichever switch is unplugged when the problem went away.

Need to add: it has a rev limiter when in reverse, you have to hold the override button to get it to go full throttle in reverse - you ca disable the reverse limiter by disconnecting the black wire at the unit.

#13 ·
Thanks for the information. The only box I can find is below the headlight. This has multiple tiny wires coming out of it. Non that can be unplugged. This is the first time I've messed with an ATV or motorcycle so I'm kind of in the dark.

#14 ·
You need to remove the cover that shrouds the headlight - mounted to the bulkhead are 2 or 3 'black boxes' - CDI unit, rev limiter and rec/reg are common in the area - pics of what you are messing with would be helpful

#16 ·
That box is the CDI unit, but on a 94 400 it should have 7 wires and one is black. Are you sure its a 94? what's the model number? Should be W948040. That unit looks newer than what was used on the 94's. The unit with fins on it is a sure power unit - not used in 94. If you can't find the 'W' number, what's the VIN?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.