Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought my 2019 Polaris sportsman HL 1000 about 2 months ago and i took out to an atv park and I rode it through water for the first time in it and the water was right below the knob of the shifter and it cut off on me. I didn’t crank it up, I had it pulled out of the water and back to camp and checked the belt box plug for any water and nothing. Checked the oil and that was good, but water was coming out the exhaust but like I said before the water wasn’t even that deep. After all the water drained I started her up and it was sputtering at idle but when giving it throttle it’d be just fine. I’d let sit and run for a bit and ride it and still the same problem, so I end up leaving and I loaded her up on the trailer, and when I get home I started her up and she’s fine, no more sputter or rough idle. She was good, no problem what so ever. The quad is practically new and is meant for water and mud so idk what caused it to die. Spark plug getting wet? Am I missing something, Idk, someone please get back at me

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
So my thoughts are you either got a little water in the intake or something electrical got wet. Hard to say but it seems that whatever it was dried up and now it runs as it should. Only thing I can suggest is to chk the intake to see if water had gotten into it. Also it's a good idea to die-electric grease all electrical connections especially for a mud machine.

Reactions: mannyhell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dialectric grease your spark plugs at the very least, I had the same issue on mine. Ran a water hose over all electrical connections while it was running and got it to idle bad after getting water on spark plugs. Greased them up, ran water over it one more time and it had solved the problem.

·
11,138 Posts
LOL, You can't just take a brand new machine out of the showroom and jump in a big water hole without any prep. That's not how it works. If you're going to ride the deep stuff you gotta prep your machine for it. Your plugs got wet and grounded out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I took all of my electrical connections apart that I could find, dielectric grease, and I spray everything with LPS-1, great water protection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@mannyhell this is the SAME EXACT thing that happen to me to a T. I have a 2020 highlifter. Will run rough after going through water but then acts fine after a bit. I even drain the gas tank the other day cause I thought I may got water in it some how. Anyway, I guess I will try to dielectric grease everything. Not sure why it does it.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
@mannyhell this is the SAME EXACT thing that happen to me to a T. I have a 2020 highlifter. Will run rough after going through water but then acts fine after a bit. I even drain the gas tank the other day cause I thought I may got water in it some how. Anyway, I guess I will try to dielectric grease everything. Not sure why it does it.
One of the best things to do if you ride in water and/or mud!!

·
Registered
388 Posts

It's running tough because something is getting wet somewhere. Spend some time on the wiring, waterproofing it, spark plugs and wires, all connections, switch gear on the bars, it all has to be paid attention to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts