Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of rides I have been getting a lot of feed back from the front end when 4x4 is on, and I'm in a sticky situation like in muck and the front end is under stress - usually at bad angles. The loud knocking is also accompanied by kick back in the steering as the front end is turning.
I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain it is coming from the CV joints being at such bad angles.
Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Do you have any idea what angle your 3" kit puts your axles at? I'm pretty sure the CATVOS 3" is designed so that you could technically run stock axles, which are good to around 30 degrees of angle. I know the DHT axle you are running is only good up to 36 degree angle. Pro series or gorilla are good to 40 degrees. If you think it is the axles binding, you only have a few options. Get new axles, get rid of the lift, or get a lift that puts the cv's at a better angle. Is there any chance that it is the front differential locking/unlocking or slipping under the stress? I know the new differentials are supposed to be stronger, but just something else to look at or consider.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you got me thinking now. Maybe front diff?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The fact that you are saying that it has happened numerous times, and the feeling with the kickback you are having in the steering, that's what I would look at. If your axles are not broke, I would be leaning more towards the diff. Axles will normally just break when bound up numerous times, and won't feel that harsh of a kickback in the steering. Start easy by draining the front diff fluid and see if you notice anything abnormal.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in a flat field of snow, or in a small mud pit the front end acts fine. It's only when there is extra force or pressure on the front end, like in the picture above.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Start with the diff. I've cracked and broken a few cages and diffs, with those type of symptoms. Good pics by the way. Wish I was able to get out and ride.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it better not be the diff. I just replaced the front diff after blowing the first one up. This diff has less than 100 km's on it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I hooked the quad up to the back of my truck last night. Put the quad in AWD and gave it gas. There is lots of snow on the ground so the wheels spun easily.
Three wheels spin, the front right doesn't. So I'm guessing I broke yet another front axel at the CV
I haven't had a chance to take it apart to inspect. The axel feels rock solid by hand but then again it has before when I broke the same axel.
I've emailed Highlifter asking them about my setup and have suggested the DHT axels aren't not strong enough. They are great with warranty but this is getting silly. I can't keep swapping axels every few rides.
Maybe it's time I look at Gorilla Axels? Or then again maybe I get rid of the darn lift and big tires. Frustrating.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i cant run a 3 inch front lift from highlifter with front axles they bind..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts