Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my first time for a CV boot change and last night I was able to get it off and back on in about an hour and a half. Though it doesn't show how to remove the axle from the machine, the youtube video below does a great job explaining how to remove the outer joint from the axle. He is working on an axle identical to mine.

A couple things slowed me down. First I hit a little snag with the ball joint that slowed me down. It wouldn't come off and I thought I was hitting too hard on the separator. Afraid I might break something, I chose to remove the tierod and take the top of the strut out of the frame. This allowed me to rotate the strut enough to get the axle out. Second, I left the axle in the differential to work on it. It didn't readily come out, I wasn't sure of what I was doing, and I didn't feel like fighting with it.

Leaving the axle attached made the outer end really floppy when trying to get the new boot in place, especially without getting grease on the portion that goes in the groove on the large end. So much for not fighting with it. I highly recommend taking the axle off and putting it in a bench vise.

A couple notes:
1. The Vise-Grip snap ring pliers from Lowe's are junk. They had no grab and kept slipping off the ears of the ring. I was finally able to use two screwdrivers to spread the ring far enough. Once I got it, the joint fell off easy-peasy without even pulling it. My joint was clean so I didn't take it apart further.
2. The cheap, earless band clamp pliers from NAPA worked fine on the large clamp. The small one required a lot more pressure and the NAPA pliers just weren't up to it. Needle nosed pliers saved the day.

Cheers,
Stew

Attached are KICKER431's instructions that will be helpful in getting the axle off of the machine.
View attachment CV Boot Replacement.txt

Here's the video I mentioned above. This guy is good with the camera and very good at explaining how to do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cv boot replacement

What a great video, done well and was a lot of help, even our local
pro shop was not aware of these procedures.... THANK YOU !!!

rllewis

·
Registered
35 Posts
AKstew.
Yor are the man!!!!!! great video, just wish i had seen the video before i destroyed me cv clamps, oh wells,
keep the great videos coming

1 - 3 of 3 Posts