Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my rear CV axle boots. Going to try to do it myself which will be a first for me. Are the all of the boots that I find on line similar or are some better quality? Also is there a special tool required to remove or replace the clamps?

Thanks for your input.

BRR

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Not sure about the quality but you will need a set of earless pliers for the clamps, can do it with needle nose but the earless makes it easy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boots are for an 05 Sportsman 500. Have to replace the boots, they are pretty old and starting to deteriorate.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I meant to say you can remove the clamps without destroying them. The boots are usually shot.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There is a special tool for the clamps that makes them a lot easier to put on than doing it with a pliers. Check denniskirk.com they have a few different versions. They should have the boots too. All the boots I've used over the years seem to be very similar in quality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a special tool for the clamps that makes them a lot easier to put on than doing it with a pliers. Check denniskirk.com they have a few different versions. They should have the boots too. All the boots I've used over the years seem to be very similar in quality.
That's good to know! I bought a set of CV's off eBay and after a couple of rides I was spitting grease everywhere, thought is was a torn boot and actually the clamp pulled off the strut side of the boot.

Just seemed the boots on the ones from eBay were pretty flimsy compared to the EPI one I just ordered? Maybe not.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
I need to replace my rear CV axle boots. Going to try to do it myself which will be a first for me. Are the all of the boots that I find on line similar or are some better quality? Also is there a special tool required to remove or replace the clamps?

Thanks for your input.

BRR
Do urself a favor chk out some videos on YouTube and buy the CV boat kits from epi along with a banding tool. the CV boots come with the boot, grease, and bands. Buy urself a couple extra bands if its ur first time. Some times over or under tightening the bands occurs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've used Fast Boot kits off of Ebay. They are reasonably priced. I haven't had any problems with them yet. They come with the boot, grease, clamps, instructions, and the tool to tighten the clamp. Nobody I know of makes an aftermarket hard boot kit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought a banding tool at my local Bond Auto parts store. Its worth having even if you only use it a couple times. And yes a couple extra bands is definitely good if its your first time. Chances are you will wreck the first one.
I'm not sure what boots are better than others so I usually go OEM but once I tried an aftermarket one and have never had an issue.
Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where do you get extra bands?

I was at my local AutoZone and asked for the tool and/or bands and they looked at me like I was crazy.

I know my boot isn't torn but, I am going to need more bands and grease.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I almost never use AutoZone or VIP for anything unless I have to. NAPA or Bond is who is in my area that have half a brain. These are things that would be stocked most of the time.
This is what the tool looks like. I know you can order from harbor freight or even amazon but you should be able to get these at a reputable parts store.
This tool draws the band tight so it can be folded back and clipped down securely.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts