Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 sportsman 500 ho, replacing inner left rear cv boot. I've never done it gonna tackle it tomorrow. Any advice or tips appreciated. First four wheeler so ive never worked on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just recently did my front and rear boots. Also replaced ball joints and front springs while there. Would not have tried to tackle it without youtube videos on how to do it. Check them out. Email me if I can be of any help.

BRR

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to tackle this job this weekend as well on my '06. Same boot--looks pretty straight-forward from the video I watched.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to tackle this job this weekend as well on my '06. Same boot--looks pretty straight-forward from the video I watched.

Make sure you have the tool to put those cv boot clamps on with don't try hose clamps.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Would not have tried to tackle it without youtube videos on how to do it. Check them out. Email me if I can be of any help.

BRR
+1 on the Youtube videos

I've only had to do one on my 700 years ago but it got me through it.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Make sure you have the tool to put those cv boot clamps on with don't try hose clamps.
In the videos I saw, they used regular pliers to remove the stock clamps, and the new boot came with the cam-type boot clamps. The weather is supposed to be crappy tomorrow, so this should be a good project to get knocked out. I also got a replacement contactor for my winch, so that will get installed as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I got the new winch contactor installed--works great now. I also got the new boot installed without any issues.

However, when I pulled the hub off the axle, I noticed when I looked at the back of the hub that the bearing seal was missing--I could actually see the ball bearings! When I took the hub apart, both inner races came off--the bearing was clearly toast. I was able to drive the bearing out of the hub without too much trouble, and I decided to do the same to the other rear axle as well. I don't have bearings on hand, but I'm going to call my local dealership tomorrow and see if they have them on hand and if the price is reasonable, I'll pick up a pair of new bearings. If not, I'll go ahead and order a pair.

Here's my issue: I am having a heck of a time getting the axles installed back in the rear end! I lubed everything up with anti-seize, and there is no significant rust on either the splines or the snap ring, but for the life of me, I can't get the axle to go in far enough for the snap ring to engage. I've tried driving it in with a rubber mallet, but that's easier said than done because the two CV joints make it want to stay anything BUT straight. Is there a tip or trick that anyone can recommend?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had problems getting it back in also. Sprayed some wd 40 on the axle splines, held the axle straight while a buddy hit it with a plastic mallet. Slid right in. I used anti sieze also, think that it was part of the problem. Also tried a rubber mallet but it was too lightweight. Bought a 4 lb plastic hammer with shot.

Good luck.

BRR

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think that may be my problem as well...My rubber mallets are pretty lightweight. I'll pick up a heavier deadblow-type hammer and try it again. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick update: I picked up a 3lb deadblow hammer and had my son help hold the axles straight. A couple good whacks and they went right in...now I'm just waiting on my replacement bearings (my local dealer was out of stock)...hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good to hear, the right tools make all the difference.

BRR

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Hold it straight, get someone else to hit it with a heavy deadblow hammer, as for bearings,can get them at parts store, rear are federal mogul #510013,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hold it straight, get someone else to hit it with a heavy deadblow hammer, as for bearings,can get them at parts store, rear are federal mogul #510013,
I'll price the bearings at the local auto parts store as well...I found the Polaris branded/packaged bearings on eBay for $27 each, shipped, so it was already a big savings over the $45 each that my Polaris dealer wanted. I'll need a second set of bearings eventually (I have 2 identical Sportsmans) so I may get the second set at the auto parts store.

When heating the hubs in the oven for bearing installation, how hot should I get them? I've seen 212F thrown out there, but I don't want to overheat it. I'll throw the bearings in the freezer when I get them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts