Polaris ATV Forum banner

CV Boot Ripped.. Again

Tags
boot cv boot
10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  weasel850 
#1 ·
So this is now my 3rd boot torn on this damn axle.
Where can I find CV boots that are meant for aftermarket axles & CV Joints. The universal ones I get seem to small on the large end and make it overly tough to get on.
It's for a Rhino axle on a Sportsman 570.

Thanks in advance,
One

#2 ·
i think super atv sells rhino axle boots.

#10 ·
They do, but it'd be $25 for shipping, and the part is $25. Any places that sell em in Canada ? haha

Thanks

#4 ·
I've had issues trying to put OEM boots on Rhino axles. The Rhinos have a part number stamped along the shaft. Get the part number, and call SuperATV to get the right boot.

I've been running Rhinos on my RZR for a few years and have not had one boot failure that wasn't a result of my stupidity.

#5 ·
The shaft is beefier on a Rhino, I don't think a OEM boot will slide on would it?

#8 ·
They will in a pinch with some work. I've heated the boot and got them to stretch over/slide on the axles. The problem is that they are "shorter" than the Rhino boots. So when the CV turns/ extends, it pulls the boot to is maximum, and eventually rips it.

#6 ·
Thats the problem i'm having when using the universal replacements. They're meant for stock axles, not the big ones like Rhino and such. I will give SuperATV a call, hopefully they got some in stock for me.
In the mean time, guess i'm due for oil changes.

Off topic, but don't want to start another thread, my solonoid on my Champion Winch loves to stop working. Second one i've gone through. Can I get a replacement from another brand such as Warn and use without problems ? Or does it have to be brand specific ?

Thanks again,
One

#7 ·
Off topic, but don't want to start another thread, my solonoid on my Champion Winch loves to stop working. Second one i've gone through. Can I get a replacement from another brand such as Warn and use without problems ? Or does it have to be brand specific ?

Thanks again,
One
Not familiar with Champion, but if it has a "remote" solenoid (like most do), then you can use just about any reversing solenoid. Just make sure it's rated for your size winch.

#9 ·
I dont believe champion winches have an external solenoid like the rest of them, they use that frying pan sized handheld controller thats switched internally.

You can goto amazon and order an external solenoid/ winch contactor as theyre called, and then you will also need to buy a handle bar mount toggle switch to plug into contactor to control spool in/out. All you need to do is cut the red and black wires off at the base of your current frying pan hand held control and then when you mount your contactor, those are your winch wires, put ring terminals on the end of wires and then will hook onto the commonly yellow and blue posts on your new contactor/solenoid.

#11 ·
Get the part number on the boot start googling it and see what cars it fits and get one at napa or oriellys ect

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure ATV axles are way too small compared to a Honda or Nissan CV axle boot.

#15 ·
That's what I did when I needed a booth for my cobra axles. Also if you measire the cup diameter axle bar diameter and the length of the boot and get on rockford cv parts (or something like that ) they will list all the specs for every boot they make, match it up with your measurements see what cars they fit and order a boot. Make sure the boot is model specific not a universal boot for many cars.

Also I found a boot for the rear inboard on an older sportsman like 02 fit my cobra axle real good. The old polaris axles where pretty big and stout back then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.