Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 sportsman 600 twin

I just noticed that my left rear CV joint is clicking. The boot is ripped and the joint makes the clicking noise when turning.

I know this is a common problem/fix so just wanted to know what others have done and what my options are.

I looked on partszilla and a new outer CV joint is 160+

However, some ebay sellers have the entire axle assembly for around 100, but I also have read it is best to change axles in sets???

There is also just cleaning it and replacing the boot but if I am going to disassemble that much I'd rather just play it safe and replace it.

I have a couple of months until deer camp and want to get parts ordered and the machine back running in tip top shape

what have some of you guys done?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
one time did i do a CV replacement. dont have the clamp tool so the job was a PITA! I have done axle replacements now on two atvs and 1 side by side using the ebay axles. I like that you get four new joints factory lubed and it makes the job much cleaner and easier. I have always bought a pair of axles on there. around $200 complete. my $.02

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I tore my boot a couple weeks ago and ride another 50 miles and replaced the boot when I got back. Easy to do and the joint was still fine. Having the right crimping tool makes all the difference.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If the CV is clicking, it needs replaced. It's really up to you how you want to do it. Replacing the entire axle is probably more expensive, but definitely easier. Replacing just the CV is cheaper (if you already have the banding tool), but takes a little work. Personally, I just replace the CV and boot, but I know people who will usually replace the entire axle, and keep the used one as a spare. It's up to you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would replace just the one axle with the ebay parts.
The joint didn't fail from age, it was because of the torn boot so only replacing one should be fine.
Then as time allows, rebuild the damaged CV joint. Now you have a spare axle as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Replace the axle, rebuild the joint and keep the spare. I have purchased axles from ebay and have had no problems. While you're at it, check all you other boots and axles for tears...

my .02

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought an axle off eBay for $50 for my 550. It's a "heavy duty" one. It works just as good as stock and it is considerably thicker. Was cheaper to buy the axle than the joint.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Buy the axle off ebay. Much easier just to get an axle if you don't have everything to fix the broke one. I bought them from that site and have had no problems.

Before you take the old axle out be sure and soak it down with WD 40 or PB Blaster for a couple of days. Makes it easier to get out.

Ronnie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses guys!

I am leaning just to replace the axle since it seems easier, less messy, and I do not have the special CV clamp tool!

Anyone that has bought from ebay is there a particular seller that you recommend?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
there is a guy on ebay I believe his name is CVman...his axels are pretty good...i got 2 from him and they seem much better than OEM...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts