Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. After a long duck season I was cleaning up my ATV today and noticed a loud noise in the right rear. I drove it just a few hundred yards to see what was going on and then looked at the right rear wheel and the outer cv boot was torn right at the back of the wheel. I also found 3 of the balls in my driveway and I found pieces of some sort of metal ring. I haven't taken it apart yet for a real close inspection but I was wondering if that was maybe enough information for someone to give me some guidance on what I'm looking at. Do I just need to go ahead and get a new CV axle or can I get away with just buying less? The other boot looks fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like you retainer clip and ball bearings fell off. There are some great videos on you tube to show you how to disassemble and reassemble the axle. Search sportsman cv boot and a bunch of videos will pop up. Some professional, some red neck

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds like you broke the race in the CV, which are the ring pieces you found in your driveway.

I recommend just getting a new axle. Normally cheaper and no headache of rebuilding your broken one. Check out STI axles if you just want a stock replacement axle. STI Polaris ATV Axles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts