Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 inch lift kit was installed the front CV boots rub the shock towers now.anybody got any input as to why and how to fix

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I am assuming this is a 500-800 non XP model sportsman, and you are talking about the boot rubbing on the strut? If so, you need to grind down the strut. This is an important step normally outlined in the instructions.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Also keep in mind that you may need to grind more than shown in the instructions if you have aftermarket axles. I had to remove a lot more material than shown for my Gorilla axles to clear without rubbing.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not sure what boots are interchangeable on stock axles. I would have to do some research. I always sell my stockers and run aftermarket.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
after a 2" lift you're going to need the after market axles. The stock ones are a known weak point designed into the system to break before more expensive more important parts break. The 2" lift increases the load on the axles and the larger tires the lift allows for multiplies this force. better to invest in the larger axles to accommodate both the lift and the tires. The axles should still be the first to go, but they won't be as likely to go out when you need them like the stock axles will.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i grind more than that's in that picture u posted its going to get into the bottom of the shock.is this ok

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
based on the pictures, the part of the "shock" that you'd be grinding should be solid and since it's below the clamping bolt you should be fin as you wont get into the meat of where the strut mount clamps onto the shock.

"- Drop the Strut plug into the strut housing hole where the shock goes and align the angle on the
plug with the newly ground angle on the strut so it also clears the CV boot."

not sure what that's referring too, but it sounds like you might not have this "strut Plug"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any tips or tricks on pulling the axle from the CV joint.got everything broke apart except for that part.boot cut away and strut tower pulled away and axle removed from hub but can't get the axle out of the CV joint

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The outside is held on by a nut but I suspect you know that. The other end is held into the Diff with a circ clip. You need to get behind the large collar and pry while pulling on the axle. In 'Theory" they should just pop out but in real life they can be hard.

I took a muffler clamp and bolted it to the collar and used a slide hammer to get them to come out. Don't take the axle out of the CV joint or you will likely have to remove the boot to put it back together.

When you put it back together use some anti seize on it and it will come out easier next time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your talking about pulling the axle from the front diff?and if so how do u get the boot around the u joints.I'm learning here

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
they aren't U joints. they are CV joints.

Some axles will only allow 1 CV joint to come apart. I tore the inner CV joint but had to take about the outer to replace it on the inner on my hawkeye.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So pulling the axle from the front diff is what y'all are saying then how do u get the boot over the CV joints with out ripping

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The axle may come appart differently than mine, but the video on the write up for my CV Boot change will show you how to remove the clamps without destroying them, or the boot.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...-hawkeye-300-4x4-cv-boot-repair-write-up.html

I know the XP's have a Clip in the CV joint that you take out to get them CV joint/axle appart. But with mine, as you'll see in the write up, only one side comes off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the video.my axles are a little diffrent.i only have one cv boot and that's obviously the hub side of the atv and the diff side has u joints( that's what I call them) going into the front differential

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And that's where I got a little confused on a lot of videos because most have two cv boots and some pull from the front diff and some have snap rings on the cv joint.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
FYI, Pictures are helpful. But if you don't have screws with straps holding on the inner U Joint onto the differential Yoke, it should pull out of the Differential.

As it stands, if you've got a CV joint on one side and a U joint on the other, I would assume you should be able to take the CV joint apart to access the hub, and repair CV boots.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts