Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone through more boots on my xp than on any other sportsman I have owned. I am running aftermarket axles as have on some of my other sportsmans. I noticed when I bought the xp's they didn't have the same setup for cv boots as the value one does. I ride mainly ride muddy trails and have "heard" as I have no real experience, that if you put boot guards on it just holds the mud in there and makes it worse from the mud and sand grinding on the boot as it turns. I am sure in heavy brush they are awesome. Just wondered what other people are doing or what there thoughts are on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've had mud and ice packed so tight in my guards the boots had just a tunnel to turn in, it but boots survived unscathed! Better off without them is a myth perpetrated by people without boots and an abundance of luck!

In fact the mud just washes away easily but the ice this year kept building up due to the cold winter. Finally used a torpedo heater to melt the ice and the boots look like new.

Have two friends with stock covers and they go through boots like crazy.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will have to look into getting a set. Can any of you guys recommend a good set of them. I haven't had too many rear boots so I think I will try the fronts first.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've got the Aluminum Products on my 850, the Ricochet are even tougher and a little bigger. I liked the ones I got better as they are smaller and don't hold as much mud and stuff as the Ricochet will, and were a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am pretty happy with the rest of the skid plates. We have a rock pile in our yard from building our house. I have played around on it on bottomed out quite a few times. I was skeptical of the plastic at first but it surprised me. At the first oil change I made a skid plate for the oil filter.

Hey ridinagain do you have a link for the aluminum products.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Before I put guards on my 700 I had a stick puncture a CV joint boot and then on another ride a stick came up and crushed part of the oil filter and pushed the dipstick off to the side. I changed the oil filter out after that ride and had to replace the dipstick as damage created a leak as it had been too deformed at the base.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My second or third ride with mine on saved my butt cause I nailed a good size rock right dead center of the oil filter; eventually lost that cover and bought a new one from them. A year later and I've smashed into something else even though I don't remember doing it, cause that seam where the plate meets the main skid and bowed in pretty good!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got Ricochet guards on my 850. They offer great protection. They do collect some mud which washes out easily. I'm not a heavy mudder but do hit some on occassion. Well worth the money. IMO

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am pretty happy with the rest of the skid plates. We have a rock pile in our yard from building our house. I have played around on it on bottomed out quite a few times. I was skeptical of the plastic at first but it surprised me. At the first oil change I made a skid plate for the oil filter.

Hey ridinagain do you have a link for the aluminum products.
https://www.aluminumproducts.com/site.php

1 - 13 of 13 Posts