Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to replace a rear outer CV Joint on a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500HO, While trying to get the outer one apart the inner joint came apart leaving the inner CV joint housing in the Gearbox. How do I get that housing out of the gearbox. I have been told it just should pop out with prying but I am nervous about prying against the aluminum housing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also can the inner joint be reassembled and used without replacement?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
it is possible to put the inner joint back together with the joint still in the case. put your grease packing in the joint first,then reattach axle,with axle and inner bearing cage in full out and down position, start putting the ball bearings back in one at a time, start at the top and work your way around, turning the joint and axle they sould almost fall in position,the last two will take a little coersion,just use patience. if the joint will not stay together ,odds are the bearings and/ or races are wore out . i believe moose or gorilla makes a rebuild kit for that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts