Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 800 efi and tore a boot on my front cv joint this weekend.
I was wondering how hard that it is to replace the joint. I am going to assume i got mud in the joint and am going to have to replace the whole thing. Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

matt

·
Registered
563 Posts
Its not too hard of a job.You should not have to replace the cv joint if it is not bad.Clean all the old grease and mud from it and re-grease it.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found a ripped boot on my Scrambler 2 weeks ago. I ordered a new boot, then removed my c.v. joint from my ATV. I cleaned out the c.v. joint, greased it and put it back on along with my new boot. Refilled my hub with the special stuff that Polaris makes and now I am getting muddy again.
Goto www.cvman.com actually it may be www.thecvman.com
There are videos on how to do it, They are great and very informative just watch and that is all you will need. My mechanic skills are very intermediate without the cv man I could not have done this.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
as long as you pay attention on how you took it appart putting it back together wont be that hard. i did my cv boots without any guideance. just a need to save my self money. evey time i brought my 2000 in to get the boots replaced it was an easy $100+ to fix. did it my self it was $40 + 1/2-45min to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,

Thank you everyone for helping out so fast. I gotta order the parts now and then im gonna get it done.

Thanks again for the help. If i need any thing else ill be sure to ask

matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,
I finally got the parts in to replace the boot. Well getting it all apart was no problem at all, except i cant get the drive shaft out from the inner housing. there seems to be a C-clip in there but there is nothing to hook into it to remove it from the part to pull it apart. Any suggestions? Its a 800 efi for the front drive shaft.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you wil need a vice, a steel rod or I like to use a tierod end seperator fork (that's just me) and a big hammer, put the shaft part in the vice really really tight with the end you want to take off on the bottem, you see that shinny cross piece wraped around the shaft in the joint. Stick the rod on that cross close to the shaft and give it a few good whacks should come off in 3 or 4 wacks, sometimes you get lucky on the first.... But before you do this go to polaris and buy a spare C clip, their like 2 bucks, because sometimes they break when you wack the end off.

·
Registered
421 Posts
fyi. there are ears for the circlip than needs to be spreaded. clean the grease of round the shaft. you will find a hole/notch where the ears are. then the shaft will slide right out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it all back together. thanks for the tips guys. now jsut gotta find the banging from the front under hard acceleration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts