Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post here. Glad I found the forum. I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 and use it for firewood hauling and deer hauling. I cant imagine life without it, and it's been a GREAT machine. Over the summer while greasing fittings I noticed I have 2 torn open boots, one on a front shaft and one on a rear shaft. I know by now the gears are probably junk but oddly enough don't click or grind when rolling the machine forward or backward. I'm thinking the best thing would be to replace both of the shafts? I haven't called the dealer for prices yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to be in for a surprise..that just has $$$ written all over it! After 12 years of extreme abuse I cant complain but I'd like to save money where I can too. Is there a place online where I can order shafts and save money? I'd probably do it myself, and I may look around for a video or something. Anyway, just looking for a good place to get shafts and save money, but I also don't mind paying more for quality parts. If the dealer is the right place to go then I'll go there. Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
MJ I have an 02 500 also....when I bought mine the guy told me it had a tear in the boot..they were original shafts...he had the new boot already...I opted to change the axles...never did one on a polaris before ..I watched a few you tube videos...looked easy..lol....well these were on since new..once I got the hub off and cleared a few things in my way....I gave the axle a pull to see if it came out...nothing....I sprayed with rust blaster a few times....tried again....nothing....I tried to pry it off...but was afraid I would break the transmission casing....so stopped.....

I came in an looked at a few more videos an searched forums....seen some used a slide puller with some attachment....I thot it out more an came up with using a muffler clamp around the rear cup on shaft....I went to advanced auto...got a 3 1/2 muffler clamp...and rented the slide hammer from there also...you pay a deposit for it ..then you get money back so its free rental..

Oh I forgot to mention..make sure hub bearing race is off the hub end of shaft..and you dont loose any of the ball bearings.....pack them good before assembly....if a race sticks to axel I heated a little an pried it off....I used anti sieze on hub end also....
I went to lowes...bought 2 feet of chain..welded links....put the clamp on cup..then added end of chain to each stud on chain....then put on bottom end of clamp on over the chain an tightened it....hooked slide hammer to the center of the chain then gave a pull ..axel came right out.....so easy...but make sure you spray a day with rust blaster...spray rear of cup between case an axle cup....let it run down in...

when you install new axle coat splines with never seize....also make sure you torgue hub nut to specs..or you will cause bearing to wear ...

now the axels....I got the axles on ebay...I bought 2...I figured if doing one ..do both,,use the good used one as a spare...I got the 2 axles for 225 shipped...they were actually thicker shaft than my old ones...I dont mud ride so not worried about having super axles....so far they have been good...used for plowing...climbing mountain trails....

A dealer is going to charge you i bet at least 500.00 to do an axel...

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you're just hauling firewood and deer out of the woods the joints may not be that bad. Especially if you haven't had it down in the water and mud. If there's no play and no noise I'd pack them with grease and replace the boots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts