Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been running 25” tires on 12” rims on my 2014 sportsman 570 efi for the first few years. This winter i bought 27” mega mayhems and 12” aluminum rims. I mounted them towards the end of winter. Had no belt issues while plowing with them a few times. Rode them twice at a mud/ trail event nearby with no problem.then last week i changed back to my older 25” grim reapers and took a ride on the trails i normally ride and took on water in the cvt housing, immediately drained the water as soon as i felt it slipping. After washing her i noticed the belt had slapped a hole in the outer cover. Is it possible that 27” tires stretched the belt and made it loosen up when i switched back to the 25’s. Anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Belts don't really stretch, the sides wear letting them sit lower in the clutch sheaves. More likely that the outer belt cover is warped. If you don't have a clutch kit with the larger tires then you probably build more heat in the belt and clutches. With the larger tires you will add more load on the belt wearing it faster. We are all supposed to let our machines idle for a few minutes before shutting them down so the clutches get to cool some. Not sure about you but from what I have seen, most don't do it so that heat stays in the clutch cover and can warp it. Then the belt start wearing a hole in it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for that info. I never had thought about the heat issue. I will be pulling the cover today to inspect the belt and i have a used cover coming monday.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After removing the outer cover and replacing the belt i found when letting off the throttle as clutches loosen the belt is bouncing up and hitting the inside of the cover. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts