Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to change the cylinder gasket. Mines a 2011 and is leaking there.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Are you talking lower base gasket?If so you might as well get both head and base gasket cause onece you loosen head you have to replace gasket.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes thats what im refering too. Are thise the only gaskets im gonna need?? and have you ever done this job?

·
Registered
311 Posts
First off, get a service/repair manual, it will walk you straight through the top end tear down and rebuild, along with the rest of the quad.

You will need head gasket, cylinder base gasket and possibly the valve cover gasket(you may be able to reuse the original)

You will also need a case of your favorite adult beverage because it will take a while.

On my 2007 Sportsman, it was possible to does this without removing the motor from the frame but I would advise it is much easier removing the motor and working on it on the workbench.

Have fun

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a service manual on pdf. Do I need to oull all the guts out of the head or could I just lift it of the cylinder base

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im guessing that it isnt that crucial to get at that right now so long as I keep an eye on the oil level??

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can pull the cylinder head straight off but to reinstall it you will have to remove the pistons from the connecting rods and in order to compress the piston rings to fit them back into the cylinder head

·
Registered
311 Posts
I thought I was looking at anti-freeze, anyway, not too critical i guess.

Remember to replace lifter rods and valve rockers in the same original positions they were removed from.

Zip lock bag all your parts and label them from where they were removed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No those are the lines I drew fo show what section it was leaking from.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so im guessing there is no easy way to change this without tearing the whole engine apart? ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not the whole motor, just the top end, you may possibly be able to drop the cylinder head back on the piston without removing it since you only have one cylinder. Its definately a lengthy process if you haven't done this kind of repair before. Just follow the repair manual.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K thank u

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
you can compress the rings by hand to get them back into cylinder,might get lucky and just remove valve cover and re-torque bolts for cylinder, I never get that lucky though, adjust valves while your there.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can compress the rings by hand to get them back into cylinder,might get lucky and just remove valve cover and re-torque bolts for cylinder, I never get that lucky though, adjust valves while your there.
Ya I was wondering if something like that was possible. Its not like its pissing out. It slowly seeps out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts