Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing Dalton Ind primary spring upgrade in my 2011 800. I can say it was a very nice upgrade and just what I needed after installing the 28" Mega Mayhem Tires on 14" ITP Wheels.

Although the same height as the Dalton Spring, the Dalton was much much harder to compress then the Polaris spring.

Two things I noticed after install:

The bike is now engaging at ~1800rpm which is great. I had a problem with the bike "bogging" with the new tire install, which was probably due to the engagement point being too low.

Second the bike pulls soo much harder, there seems to be a much higher belt grip with this primary spring. I really notice it while cruising around 20MPH and stabbing the throttle, I found before it revved a lot but really didn't take off like it should even with stock tires. Now I can feel the bike pull hard and makes me smile.

Considering this was a $50 part with tax and shipping and takes 30min to install and requires no pullers of any sort I would say this was money well spent. I'm literally all smiles and its made the bike fun again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Both springs have the same amount of coils but the orange/blue looks to be a heavier gauge. I haven't had a chance to take my clutches apart yet, so is the black one the stock spring?
I was considering a QSC kit myself but if I can gain almost the same just from the spring I would consider going that route..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both springs have the same amount of coils but the orange/blue looks to be a heavier gauge. I haven't had a chance to take my clutches apart yet, so is the black one the stock spring?
I was considering a QSC kit myself but if I can gain almost the same just from the spring I would consider going that route..
I have seen a few 800 machines with different primary springs. Mine is the black one from the factory.

The Dalton spring is far stiffer. Easily 3-4x times as stiff.

Don't expect miracles with a simple spring upgrade. For me this seems like a great upgrade and just what I needed. I still have a complete QSC clutch kit in my basement if I ever want to try a full kit out.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The stiffer Dalton spring stiffer the way through but probably finishes real close to stock so you don't change top rpm much. It keeps the primary from grabbing the belt to hard and pulling the secondary open to fast. Shifting out to fast is what bogs you down with the bigger tires. The cvt system is torque sensing. It shifts the secondary based on the resistive torque it feels fed back through the driveline. It's actually the backwards way of fixing the problem. Would be better to put a stiffer secondary spring in. That will hold the secondary closed longer and backshift faster too. It's the heavy taller tires that add resistance to the driveline and make the soft spring in the secondary compress easier. Also surprised you would spend the money on a clutch kit and not install it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts