Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the dalton kit is out and i will be installing mine this weekend. i will be giving feedback about it to dale dalton. kit comes with 2 primary springs and dalton adjustable weights.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes did the install saturday and tested sunday.
i used the black primary spring and dalton setting for 28" trail tires. had on my 28" zillas. 714 feet above elevation.
engagement rpm is 2250 and very smooth. will wheelie easy now in high.
has more belt grip.
low is stronger now, mid about the same,it was good as it was anyway.
in a 500 foot run during the clutch phase rpm is 7150 and holds steady. this is perfect for the 850xp.
backshift is excellant. the kit does what dale dalton said it would.
more low end power for the 850xp. i talked with dale yesturday morning and told him about my test run.
when it comes to cvt clutching dale dalton is THE man.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey everyone Just bought a new 2009 850 xp and while I am completely thrilled with the performance of this atv, I am always in search of more so my question is..... Is this something I can do to my atv with stock tires and is it worht the time and money

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had about 12 conversations with dale dalton about the clutching on the 850xp. his words are for the xp stock tires the clutching is fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well what about if we just want more low end power and have stock tires, would you recommend the kit?

And I have another question. I plan to put a slightly bigger trail/mud tire on later, probably 27" if I can. Was wondering if I got a kit to match that size tire, if it would hurt to have the kit on before the tires.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i do not recommend for stock tires, dale told me the stock clutching for stock tires is good. now you can put it in with the stock tires but you will have to take it back apart to make changes for bigger tires. if you watched that video that is posted here it is not that easy to take apart,very misleading.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No I didn't see any videos. So I should just go ahead and get the tires and get the clutch to match the tires?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i would buy the kit when you have the tires. the kit comes with a manual and has set ups for 26" tires all the way up to the large outlaws and silverbacks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sweet well thanks for the advice it probably won't happen this year but when I do get it all put together I'll share it with everyone.

·
Registered
106 Posts
how much deos the kit cost$$$

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dalton list price is $289,check around and see who gives you the best price. any atv dealer can order from dalton.dalton no longer sells retail over the phone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SNW629,

You seem to know an awful lot about clutches. Let me ask this. Would the dalton clutch kit help me? I changed the stock tires and installed Bighorns. 26" same as stock, but they are an inch wider and substantially heavier and now it's pretty hard to wheelie with the added weight.

Thanks,

Art

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ART
yes it will, you would run the same weight set up as i am. i could not wheelie in high after adding zillas and horns and now it will without pulling on the bars or setting back on the seat. you will have better belt grip,lower belt temp,stronger low end. i can guide you threw the install here if needed. if you lived in my area i would let you test ride mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks SNW. The only other question I have is this. How will the addition of the dalton clutch kit affect my hill climbing? Is it gonna make it so sensitive that I will have to be really careful? i.e. I don't want to be pulling the front wheels off the ground just because I need a little extra to get over an outcropping of rocks in the middle of a hill. Going over backward on one of these heavy monsters doesn't sound all that appealing to me...lol

Hey, I'm only 15 miles from Manhattan.....Manhattan, KS that is....haha.

Thanks again,

Art

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ART
you will get used to the throttle and the more low end,i would not worry at all of going over. you have 2 primary springs that come with the kit,the one is close to stock rpm engagement,you may want that one if you are worried. i use the other that is 2250 rpm engagement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The steepest hills I climb are probably somewhere in the neighborhood of this slash mark "/"...I will probably go with the 2250 spring and just stick to the more forgiving hills until I get used to it. Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no problem art.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Your Dalton kit sounds almost exactly like my team industries high elevation clutch kit....Mine engages around 2300rpm or so, with the engine hitting 7200 very soon after. It revs a little faster than normal because of the gear reduction kit and 28" zilla's. How much did u pay for your kit....Team kit is $199.US.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the Dalton Kit is right around $289 U.S..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts