Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but not new to ATV's. I just bought a 2012 Sportsman 550 EPS new with 2 miles on it from a dealer in AZ. I live in Colorado and had it shipped via uship. Before the carrier picked up the ATV the sales guy calls me to tell me that he noticed that the rear grab bar (metal bar) has a dent in it and he would send me a new one if I wanted. Well I looked at it when it got to the house and its a lot more damage than just a dent in a bar. The rear storage compartment is broken, the exhaust muffler is pushed up to were the heat shield is touching the right rear spring, and the mount on the frame where the rear metal bar mounts is bent beyond bending back into shape. All total in parts is over $320 not to mentioned my time taking it apart. Just wondering what you guys and gals think I should do?

·
Premium Member
10,362 Posts
If ur satisfied with everything except the damage u mentioned in ur post and willing to do the repair work you should fix it. Talk to the salesman tell him the extent of the damage have them send u the parts and a check for the estimated amount of time it will take u to do the repairs at a reasonable labor rate.

Take pictures.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have talked to the sales person, sent photos of the damage and even a parts list. I am not sure I want to do the repair work as who knows if I will be compensated for my time and effort. I am wondering if there is damage to the ATV that I can not see, like frame alignment damage. As far as the naked eye I can't see any. This is just pissing me off as I have not got to ride it yet.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If I understand your post the salesman tells you the machine is damaged before shipping, why didn't he just ship a undamaged machine, did you agree to accept it that way? I would not want that machine unless the machine is fixed by a dealer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea you took a bath from them been rear ended from some thing probably why you got a deal out of state ship it back on there dime have them ship you one that has not been wrecked

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sales person made it sound like it was just a little dent in the grab bar, no big deal, and he would send me a new one. After further investigation and removal of the back rack, fenders, and exhaust muffler I found more damage and work to be done. In fact, I am looking at a piece in the frame that is bent and probably can not be replaced or repaired. This was the only 2012 model they had, and to my knowledge there is really no change from 2012 to the current 2014 550 EPS models. Am I correct? I really just was to send it back and say deals off at this point. I paid for a new machine not a damaged one, here you go, here is the parts, you fix it kind of deal.:headache:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea you took a bath from them been rear ended from some thing probably why you got a deal out of state ship it back on there dime have them ship you one that has not been wrecked
My local dealer did not have any in stock and I needed it for an up coming hunt and got a decent deal out of it. Well the manager is suppose to get back with me tomorrow and figure out what we are going to do. I am hoping they take it back and replace it with a new one. As for using it for my hunt, that's a no go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would get it back asap get polaris envolved if need be they will probably raise hell on his dealership dont know about 550 i run a 2013 850 but no diff on them 12-14

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
your options as I see them are as follows.

1. do the repairs yourself (good luck on getting warranty issues)
2. send it back to the dealer for repair.
3. send it back for your money.

No chance you're getting a newer model at that price, and unless they can track down another 2012 you're SOL on getting a different bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hopefully on the way back just dont let roy haul it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will your quad delivery be on shipping wars? Jenn :) ?
No. UShip was awesome and did not cause any damage. The damage was done all at the dealership. Actually UShip was the funnest part about the whole purchasing of this atv.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Follow Up

I just thought I would follow up with everyone that my Sportsman is fixed and it looks brand new again. The manager at the dealership I bought it from told me to just take it to my local dealer and have them fix it and that they would take care of the rest. I just got it back and it looks great. See there is still good dealerships out there that really care about people after the sale.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Call Polaris and explain the situation. What I would want done is a thorough look over by your nearest Polaris dealer. Have them write up an estimate of parts and labor and let Polaris figure who's stuck with the bill (either corporate or the original dealer, but not you) and have that dealer do the work (if it is repairable)

EDIT- damn iPhone is slow here. Glad u got it fixed

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Damaged quad

How did you pay, meaning was it a credit card? If so you probably have some protections there. If you paid with paypal, they have lots of protections also (basically is is not as advertised). I think you paid for a 'new' quad because you didn't want to hastle with repairing an older one, so you should get what you paid for. Bummer on the time lost but hang in there, ask professionally and persistently what you want and don't be afraid to mention your state's BBB and attorney general (or whatever they call the head state lawyer). I get the feeling the dealer knew how bad it was just tried to pull some wool over your eyes, ask to speak to the manager or owner. Make me mad too! Best of luck.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Glad to hear they owned up and had it repaired for you..... happy riding!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Nice! sucks they were deceiving about the condition of the bike before you got it, but glad they made things right.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Great resolution!

Glad to hear that is overwith! I used uship also and yes it was a pleasure - web tracking tool is pretty cool to keep up with too! :rotflmao:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
almost sounds like they just didn't want the hassle of doing the repair themselves in the first place and just sold it as is to an out of area buyer to pawn the work off on another dealership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts