Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has been a crazy winter....with sub zero temps weeks on end..then snow every other day....seems like I just finish plowing an hear more snow coming...I know we had it good the last 5 years...so whats wrong with being good this year...lol....i still say the chinese are controlling the weather...I feel bad for the people in the Mid west they just dont get a break...Mn has had some Artic weather most of the winter...

I guess mother earth is changing...the sad part is the fuel companies take big advantage of the people during times like this....if you want to stay warm you Pay...I just finished plowing 18 inches an now 6-8 coming in later today...

funny thing is..some places will have floods in spring..and some places will have droughts..

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've gotten a lot of snow and way more than usual -0 days here in Chicago too. This week is looking like a couple days we might get close to 40...

Stay strong out there. It's gonna end soon

·
Registered
862 Posts
It was 20 the other day and I thought I was going to need shorts lol. We haven't been out of the negatives and single digits for awhile.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've been very disappointed with our "winter" here in Vegas. Its been in the 60s most of the months and mid 70s the last week and for the next week supposedly. I want SNOW!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its snowing again today....3 storms this week....then warming to 40.s next week....and rain....for a lot of us the worse part is yet to come....the rivers flooding....and ice jams on bridges...there will be some serious floods with all this snow we have...all we can do is be safe an keep the family safe....

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's good for us here, the great Lakes are getting low, a few Winter's like this and we could see some improvement in water depth.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't mind the snow, it has provided me with a lot of seat time this winter. Now you can keep the fridged cold. What ever happen to all that global warming, they tried to shove down out throats? We could use a little about now.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
We have literally had 3 months of -30C.

people call this province the "asshole of the earth". We have almost 100C span between summer and winter. (+45 with humidity in summer to -50 with wind chill in winter)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't mind the snow, it has provided me with a lot of seat time this winter. Now you can keep the fridged cold. What ever happen to all that global warming, they tried to shove down out throats? We could use a little about now.
Changing weather patterns are part of the global warming theory.

Here in NY's southern Adirondacks we used to get very cold weather every year. Prolonged sub zero, 20, 30 below with highs of minus 5.... stuff like that for at least several weeks and more each winter. Now for the last 8 yrs or so we don't and I don't miss it one bit. That crap is for the birds.

We used to always have deep snow on the ground from roughly early December straight through to April. This winter aside, the last 6-8 winters there's been many weeks/months my yard was bare. The Lakes here used to freeze really solid, completely every year. Now it's usually a partial, shorter freeze if any.

New York, Boston and London harbors used to freeze over solid every year. People could walk, ride horses, drive vehicles across. That no longer happens.

It is getting warmer. Question is is it caused by man or naturally occurring.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There in no place to put more snow here. Piles next the garage are up to the roof. Old snow is now hard as a rock ice. Every other day snow storm sucks.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know Jim..I am just north of you...it just dont stop snowing.....

Fly is right...its all part of Global warming...as places get warmer some get colder...its a shift in weather patterns....

when i as a kid i remember snowy winters..but I guess as you get older they bother you more....the last 8 years have been mild in the North East US...so this season stands out more since not use to it....last year it snowed twice..was bare ground most of the winter

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Don't confuse climate with weather. They are different. Weather is what is happening now, climate is what is happening over a couple hundred year period.

We have also had a bunch of snow and cold but nothing more than has been had before. I think many of us have been spoiled by the milder winters we have had. On the up side, I get to play with my plow at the lake.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I actually love this weather. I love the snow and ice. Much better than freezing then thawing and mud then freezing again and so on. Love to ice fish, and this year has been good for that.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We have literally had 3 months of -30C.

people call this province the "asshole of the earth". We have almost 100C span between summer and winter. (+45 with humidity in summer to -50 with wind chill in winter)
It has been long has it not? Funny though January did not even rate in the top 40 coldest January's on record. Think the big thing is that it has been cold steady without the super cold -45C but also without the -2C so it seems worse. Oh and the wind, man has it been windy here all winter as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I retired in the spring and bought all new ice fishing equipment and picked up a new bike in mid January. We have so much snow on Lake Simcoe here in Ontario that the bike hasn't got a mile on it. Can't get out!!!!! We have a few days of mild weather this week with some sun, so finally things should tighten up an I like hundreds of others can get out and travel on the lake.

·
Registered
373 Posts
its snowing again today....3 storms this week....then warming to 40.s next week....and rain....for a lot of us the worse part is yet to come....the rivers flooding....and ice jams on bridges...there will be some serious floods with all this snow we have...all we can do is be safe an keep the family safe....
x2, The creek here by the house flooded big time last spring & i have a feeling we will be dealing with this mess again

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
creekman ...we have had the same here...it was so bad the 4 foot culvert under the road here washed out..it was under mined bad.....road collapsed....lucky we had another way out...that road is like a old cart road..but a way off the mountain....

the thing with the flooding..you lose lives an houses an buisnesses...and jobs...look at the floods in PA a few years ago..took almost a whole down town block into the river...weather amazes me....we had a tornado here 2 years ago....was incredible...went right thru my property tore up 60 trees I was blocked in for 3 days till my drive was cleared...blew my doors open off the hinges..

.I ran to basement with the dogs....after it was over I looked outside...WOW...did no damage to my house..Log Home....but the area looked like a war zone...they are not very common here....it was a F4....it lasted over 30 miles and a mile wide....

here is a video of the garage down the road...my kids friend filmed it....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yep.. Kill me.. I generally like to shovel vs use my blower for the exercise.. I'm on my second shovel of the season and I've used my snow blower more this year than all of the previous 6 years since I bought it combined.. I think I used it 3 times last year.. This year, I'd say I'm using it 2 times a week since mid November... Constant wind this year creating massive drifts over and over again that are just to much to handle with a shovel.. I sold my quad a month or so ago and am hunting for a new one.. So cold and so much snow I really haven't bothered visiting any dealers yet.. Just to damn cold.. Even if a dealer offered to let me test ride a machine, I don't want to in this friggin' weather.. C'mon spring!

·
Registered
944 Posts
You guys in Canada sound like you're getting it bad. That constant wind would truly test your mettle.

Bad weather is trying. Drought is worse. Many parts of the continent are having severe droughts, a pattern that's been going on for a few years. In the Midwest, they've been pumping out the HUGE Ogallala aquifer for decades. Without it, the large population and huge crops yields would not be possible. However, it's running out and there's a drought. Without the OG aquifer, it may already have been in a dust bowl stage and it may still come.

A guy from Texas posted on here a while back that his town's water reservoir is BELOW it's 30 percent level amidst a continuing drought. That's getting quite serious.

People can with stand a lot of bad weather but when the water runs out it gets extremely serious very quickly. Tens of millions of Americans live in what is effectively desert. Much of our food is grown in lands that are semi arid irrigated by the OG aquifer and water impoundments.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know Jim..I am just north of you...it just dont stop snowing.....

Fly is right...its all part of Global warming...as places get warmer some get colder...its a shift in weather patterns....

when i as a kid i remember snowy winters..but I guess as you get older they bother you more....the last 8 years have been mild in the North East US...so this season stands out more since not use to it....last year it snowed twice..was bare ground most of the winter

Oh gosh you guys are going to get buried tonight. That storm is just brushing by here with 3 in.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts