Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one for you gearheads!
Recently removed a starter tgat was hanging up. I did a thorough cleaning of the brushes and coils. Put it all back together and it kicks like a champ.

I had noticed the overflow tube that drains the carb bowl was leaking slightly. In order to not have my garage full of fumes I turned the supply off. The very next day I turned it back on so I could move it to make room for another project.

Now it flat out refuses to fire! Day before? 1st crank a running like a champ. Today...nothing but a couple pops and a massive backfire!

This is a 500 sportsman HO

Is there a timing belt on these? Maybe a air pocket? won't even fire off starting fluid

What do goys got?

·
Registered
14 Posts
First, is fuel still leaking?
Clean carb as book says and drill out that brass plug and clean and adjust need valve.

Second, Was riding my dad 2004 Sportsman 500 ho finding a loose plug in in the cooling circuit then this damn thing died in the road in from of the house after about an hour of hauling a$$. Had to choke and baby it spuddering and back firing the whole way.
Pulled the carb apart and little snap ring had popped off the metering rod and got suck up to the diaphram. This thing has around 2200 miles on it. the meter ing rod worn in that slot so the clip wouldn't hold. Moved it to the next slot down and clipped in fine. Runs like a raped ape now.
Sometimes they just have a mind of their own. Make sure to change the needle vale seat assemblies o ring while you've got the carb down. Put his back together the first time without changing it and sure enough here come the gas out the over flow. Broke it back down, found an o ring in my kit and was all good to go.
Hope this helps.
Brian
Palatka

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts