Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I keep a log of my riding. I have logged the last three years worth of rides. Now for a ride to be considered logable it has to meet atleast one of two criteria 1: it has to be over 4hrs out on the trail or 2: has to be more then a twenty mile run. Some mountainous rides I can do as little as 10 miles but that can take 4+ hours or I could hit some faster but still pretty technical trails and only put 20 or so miles on in a ride. But for a successful year of riding I need twelve days logged or an average of once a month. Also I go on multi day trips from 2-4 days, so if I'm away for 4 days of riding that is logged as 4 days of riding. I can go like 3 months without going out on a ride and I can do 4-6 days of riding in as little as 6 weeks. So what about you guys how many days of riding do you do in a year?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If I had to log by distance traveled, maybe once a year. If I had to log by work to attain the few miles or so traveled, we ride often. Worst part is I think my family has gotten used to working and riding to get where we're going and when we tried a vacation on an atv super highway that could take you town to town but choked ya with dust, it cut our 3 day planned trip to a 4hr single afternoon ride and we headed back to hotel because we all were bored and came home next morning to ride timber and wooded single lane trails.

Maybe once the little guy gets older we'll do a Colorado trip with scenario like we're used to vs feild feild feild and ability to tie a bungee cord to the bars, tape the throttle open and koozie up for a nap while the atv drives autoimously down a 2-4 lane wide atv/sxs dirt/gravel road:)

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man that doesn't sound to fun. Colorado and Utah are on the bucket list. HMT is an awesome time. So you should try and get to one of those places. I know its tough with the work family repeat cycle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
With that criteria I ride 18 to20 days a year. 5 to 7 mile rides with my dogs are 3 to 4 times a week.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't know if this counts because i am a guide but i do this kind of trips 100 times a year
Brother it counts, I'm jealous, and you sir are living the life!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that criteria I ride 18 to20 days a year. 5 to 7 mile rides with my dogs are 3 to 4 times a week.
That's a good amount of day rides and I'm sure those shorter rides are good fillers :wink1:.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I try to get out 2 times a month and ride as much as I can. Since July I have logged 940 miles on my 850. Some weekends have been 100+ miles

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the thing I haven't been out in three months and I blows my mind how time flies. Between sept and oct I was out on the trail a total 8 days. Work was busy over the holidays, guys were taking off and I would cover for them. So just trying to keep up with my normal home, vehicle, "hey I need a couple hi-hats installed and if you have time I have a ceiling fan thats been sitting around that needs to be put up" work load is challenging enough. Worst part is I have been asked to go out a few times and it just doesn't work out for what ever reason you know work, choirs, family.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
I keep a running total in my signature on another forum. I had 24 rides last year. I have one so far this year, since we start out the new year with a new years day ride every year.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I only ride what you guys call rides (30 mi) maybe 4 times a year. But my son and I ride almost every night on the 12 miles of trails behind the house. Even in the cold we are there. Last night the temp was 13 deg. when we left for our nightly ride.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So I keep a log of my riding...... So what about you guys how many days of riding do you do in a year?
Not near enough.... I can tell you that for sure! :sad2:

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only ride what you guys call rides (30 mi) maybe 4 times a year. But my son and I ride almost every night on the 12 miles of trails behind the house. Even in the cold we are there. Last night the temp was 13 deg. when we left for our nightly ride.
Hey rdgcolt what you have right there are quality rides. Those are the most important and count the most!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I keep a running total in my signature on another forum. I had 24 rides last year. I have one so far this year, since we start out the new year with a new years day ride every year.
Yeah I missed our new yrs day ride this year, double time and a half plus a 15% night differential so I had to take the money :headbang:. A ride right out of the gate is the way to do it. 24 rides a year is a decent amount I was able to get in 14 days of riding in. Maybe I turned down 6 additional days of riding but if I did 18 in a year that would be dedication .

·
Registered
289 Posts
We try to plan around five "out of state" rides a year where we go and stay five or six days, ride 8 to 10 hour days. We go on 8 to 10 local day rides a year with no overnight stuff. I also have some trails around my property we can just jump on and go. They are a little more limited in deer season as I don't want to mess those guys up.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We try to plan around five "out of state" rides a year where we go and stay five or six days, ride 8 to 10 hour days. We go on 8 to 10 local day rides a year with no overnight stuff. I also have some trails around my property we can just jump on and go. They are a little more limited in deer season as I don't want to mess those guys up.
Pirate that is an impressive riding itinerary :hump:. What's the furthest from home base riding destination that you've been to?

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I'm throwing this to the top of the board since it's a new year. 2016 was a pretty successful riding year for me, 15 days out on the trail. I made it up to New Hampshire for a couple days and down to West Virginia for a few days. Logged about 1,000 miles in all.

Already hit the trail twice this year with our annual New Year's ride and hit lost trails in PA. yesterday. This year might just set the bar I have trips to Utah, New Hampshire, and West Virginia lined up. So we'll see how it goes the bike is up to 3,000 miles and needs some TLC. Heck I might be able to hit the 4,500 mile mark on the odometer if things work out.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
all i do is try to ride atleast 100 miles per outing, otherwise it feels like a waste to me, loading everything up, trailering to area ur gonna ride, no big mountains up here , just forests, mud runs , fields and dirt/ rocky wooded trails, some logging trails. We retired the old trusted 500's last year and bought 2 new bikes, me and the wife put about 1000 miles on them in about 3 months last summer, we rented a cottage for a week and rode 3 days straight plus we ride atv club runs to raise money for charities and ride with group of friends also. Don't really ride in winter months, i let them rest so i dont rack up too many miles too fast , lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry for the slow response BP405, just missed your post. I have not been west of the Mississippi yet but more on that in a minute. We do the majority of our trips to NC, Tn and WV. All are mountain type terrain. We have a cabin in NC we ride a ton of trails that that we have access to around the Blue Ridge PW. Most are old logging roads and the bear hunters help keep the clear in season and us other times of year. In Tennessee we ride Brimstone, Windrock, Prentise Cooper and recently Royal Blue. I have relatives in NW ga so Prentise Cooper is an easy trip. The other three are about a five hour drive. in WV we ride Hatfield McCoy. All their systems are great riding. I have been an ATVer and still have one but got my RZR1000S about a year ago mainly because my two main riding partners can't or won't make some really long trips. Now I can take a non rider who can turn loose and go. I have reservations at the Rally in the Pines in Mackey Idaho in July and am planning on riding around Island Park, Id, West Yellowstone Mt, Dubois, Wyoming and the Big Horns while I'm out there. I will be traveling in my truck with a cover, custom storage box with storage drawers and a queen mattress on top. I have a 10 x 10 carport I back right up to that gives me more space. Simple setup and makes the trip easier and certainly more affordable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
BP405, What are you planning on riding in Utah? I had a fall trip planned to the Paiute Trail but had to postpone it. Really was looking forward to that but plan on making up for it this summer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts