Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 500 with only 9 hrs on it. Keep on finding it with a dead battery. It is stored in a non heated garage. The last 4 times I went to use it the battery was dead. Yesterday I moved it out of the garage, didnt have a problem, battery was fine, had it running for maybe 5 min, then parked it back. Today I go to start it, and dead battery again. I had the battery tested last week and was told it was good. Any ideas???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you have a battery tender for it? Riding it at low RPMs will not sufficiently charge the battery. Keeping a battery tender on it will maintain the juice in it - preventing a dead battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep, get a charger on it in between uses.

I keep my X2 in an unheated pole barn and have always connect my CTEK charger after use during the winter months. Will be adding eyelets to make plugging in even easier going forward. Even more important if you're using a winch to raise and lower a plow, really draws juice from the frequent use up and down.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What's the temp been when it's been "dead"? What does it do.... anything (click, turn over-not fire), nothing (stone cold dead-nothing at key)??? Be descriptive.... as we are not there with you to see and hear it in action.... or no action in this case!! :dunno:

I'd get a battery tender/maintainer and see if the problem is resolved..... or if still under warranty have them check it out. May not be a bad idea to check battery cable conections and ground too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sometime it will click a few times, other times not at all. As for the temp, its about 20 degrees in my garage. I could get a battery tender, not a problem. But makes me think like something electrical is going on thats draining the battery when not in use.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the cold will drain it..to fully charge by the machine you need a good run...starting for a few minutes an shutting off puts the battery in a discharge state...now with the cold it discharges more...if you believe its draining due to maybe a short some where....disconnect to pos term an then when you want to start it hook back up..see what state the battery is in...if its low during connect then battery is discharging..if not an has good power..you need to find whats drawng...so charge it..run for an hour riding...then when done disconnect battery....see what condition its in after a day or two..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so my battery is at 12.0 volts hooked up to the machine not running. removed battery and checked again, also at 12.0 volts. Apparently if there is a draw the volts should run higher when disconnected. So , maybe it just needs a tender. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes sounds like tou just need a tender...seems like no draw from any thing or a short...just cold drain

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Out of the machine it should read over 12.0 volts..... try a tender ($20-30) first. If that doesn't solve your problem, may need a new battery. Check with your dealer to see if the battery warranty is longer than the standard Polaris 6 month warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got a agree that the charger sure sounds needed.

We see temps down to -45 below here in Northern MN so my CTEK gets a good workout. In fact, we've got -38 below forecast for Tuesday night, I think that's just about enough for even up here.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
sometime it will click a few times, other times not at all. As for the temp, its about 20 degrees in my garage. I could get a battery tender, not a problem. But makes me think like something electrical is going on thats draining the battery when not in use.
It could be something electrical. Do you have a winch with a wireless remote control? Many people are having battery drainage problems because the remote is constantly searching for a signal, and slowly drains your battery when not in use

1 - 11 of 11 Posts