Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, has anyone had a dealership repair your hilliard and about how much did they charge. I know it varies depending on what's wrong but seems like labor would be the biggest expense. Trying to decide whether to attempt it or just bring it in. Machine is a '04 1/2 sportsman 500. Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
No idea what it costs but

have you already done the obvious like flush/changing the fluid? That solves many problems. Also check youtube, there are some guys there that have done maintenance and some repairs, looking thru the vids a couple times gives you the feeling (when you do it) that you've done it before and it goes SO much smoother and with lots less anguish. Best of luck and Happy Holidays!! :cowboy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i did change the fluid first thing and have verified the electrical side is good. I know I can handle it but timing is bad. I need it fixed but cannot devote the time to do it for at least 2 more weeks. Plus my friend is on the hook for the bill because it was supposed to be working when I bought it. Obviously I'd like to save him some money but it looks like a pita to get it out and time is limited

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$800? yikes! Doesn't surprise me though. That's why I've learned to do my own repairs on everything. This one would be no exception had I broke it but again, this problem was not part of the purchase deal.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's about 5 hours of labor to remove it, tear down, resemble, and reinstall. Add parts on that and your in the ballpark. Any idea what's wrong with it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Two days ago i brought a 2004.5 500 in they said about 200-300$. They called me up and said it would be 758$ just in parts and about 6 hours in labor. So i just loaded it up and left. I will try to fix it my self.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's 5hrs when you know exactly what you're doing. For me that's a day of disassembly, diagnosis, hopefully only one trip to the parts store, another day of reassembly and install and hope it works! Haha. But that gives me a good idea if what it's going to cost at the dealer. Thanks! I don't know what's wrong other than it won't engage at all. If I heard something let go maybe I'd have a better idea but it just never worked from the first time I tried it. Guessing like said, armature or cage? The machine had sat for 2yrs, and fluid was very low when I drained it but didn't see any bad metal on the magnet. Just not sure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two days ago i brought a 2004.5 500 in they said about 200-300$. They called me up and said it would be 758$ just in parts and about 6 hours in labor. So i just loaded it up and left. I will try to fix it my self.
That's brutal. If that were the case here, I'd fix it myself and just knock off a few hundred off the purchase price. That's what my friend and I are discussing right now. Either way it needs to be fixed, it's useless as a plow machine in 2wd

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Cage runs about $200 for the plastic one and $400 for the aluminum one. Armature plate is about $75, and figure on a seal set for $55 since you have it apart and won't want to do it again. Shouldn't be anything more in there to be bad, but if it's any worse than that of seriously look at getting a whole new front differential.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya that was the problem, we could not back up driveways when plowing. Im going to order new seals, cage and, armature plate. The cage was cracked and plate was warped.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have an 04.5 700 that I redid the front end a few years ago. My problem was that it would engage 4 wheel drive even when I was in 2 wheel drive. You might want to make sure you are getting power to the dif first before you tear it all apart. You have to have power to magnetize the armature. You might have a broken wire or bad switch.

I bought my dif parts from John Deere and they were a 1/4 the cost of Polaris parts. The Gator used the same front dif. I paid about $120 for the cage, rollers, springs, armature, and seals. The Polaris dealer wanted over $500. I read of guys paying as little as $75 for all the stuff but to order and have it shipped up here to Alaska it was $120 or so. If you search on this site for John Deere front dif parts you should be able to come up with part numbers to order from John Deere. Lots cheaper. I'm at work and don't have the lists of part numbers here. I found a few threads I saved and will attach below. I know there are more if you dig on this site. Good luck.

john deere front diff parts work

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...john-deer-front-diff-parts-fit-sportsman.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the links! I did verify power was going to the coil an resistance was good also. Machine is at the shop, just don't have time to mess with it right now. Funny, they're also the local john deere dealer too. They're backed up with snowblowers, snowmobiles and atv's from all the snow we've had. Might be 2wks till they get at it. Looks like I get to rack up some more miles on the snowblower. Lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the links! I did verify power was going to the coil an resistance was good also. Machine is at the shop, just don't have time to mess with it right now. Funny, they're also the local john deere dealer too. They're backed up with snowblowers, snowmobiles and atv's from all the snow we've had. Might be 2wks till they get at it. Looks like I get to rack up some more miles on the snowblower. Lol
Have them order the parts from John Deere and save you some money.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have them order the parts from John Deere and save you some money.
They were going to anyway, and charge him the Polaris price. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone help me out. Been having the same problems with my 2004.5 700 EFI so I tore into the front diff and expected to see either a broken cage or a magnetized plate but found both to be fine. What I did find was the plastic bushing under all of that was melted like it was run dry by previous owner. Went to dealer with the part off the diagram and they said that the part is not sold separately and the part number references the whole unit for $1100. The part on the diagram was #13 and the part number was 1341344 I believe.

Anyone have info on replacement for this plastic piece (preferably for less than $1100).

BTW. Other than this plastic "bushing" everything looked nice and clean.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My front diff was shot. Everything rusted and crusty must have sat with water in it for quite some time. New unit cost $800

·
Registered
17 Posts
These guys are making them for Rzrs. Maybe they would do atv.

https://www.facebook.com/booger.golden?hc_location=stream
Thanks. Worth a shot. I'll contact them. Thanks.

I remember reading on here that someone found the company that makes these diff's but they have an agreement not to sell retail parts. Considering Polaris isn't selling these parts anymore, I wonder if they would be free to sell parts. You would think a plastic part in a diiferential should be serviceable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts