Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I've posted a couple times about a problem I've been having without much luck. I have a 2013 sportsman 400 with a coolant leak. The leak is right above where the exhaust comes out of the motor. There is a hole where the valves would be and its leaking the antifreeze onto the exhaust. It has never got hot, the fan works and its pumping coolant normal while its running, no coolant in oil either. I stopped by the dealer and explained what was going on and they said they've never heard such a thing. They suggested they could tear the water pump apart, or maybe it could be a seal somewhere or they could try checking the torque on the heads. Its not under warranty either. I had my dad take a look at it and he said it looks almost like it could be a casting mark from the factory which would mean I got a defective motor. Any ideas here? Thanks

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
Did yah have any luck posting pics of the leak?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Shane if you go to my profile its in my pictures, its the only one actually lol. I do everything off my phone and its being picky as far as letting me post it in the thread.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
From the pic it looks to high up to be a head gasket is it possible it's coming up the head bolt it's hard to tell from the pic ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I agree not a head gasket that spot is the valve cover. What ever that little hole above theexhaust next to the torque head bolt is where its leaking from. I even showed the dealer a picture and he couldn't find it on his computer so he was no help.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
That little hole is a drain from the spark plug hole I think pull the spark plg boot and check for antifreeze ?? Maybe even pull the fuel tank so u can get a good view at it ....

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
Plug boot not pig boot dam auto correct !

·
11,565 Posts
Polaris shows in the area of your leak a "blind plug" #31 in the diagram. It is probably an allen head. The large "plug" has a gasket (crush washer) right beside it #'s 13 and 14. I'd guess it's probably to bleed air out the top of the engine when flushing the cooling system or after engine assembly. You might try to tighten it a little or you may have to remove it and apply a dab of sealant to the threads. I'd use a small wire brush and some cleaner to get it really clean and make sure exactly which plug is leaking first.

Here is a link to the diagram.
http://parts.polarisind.com/images/ATV/CYLINDER/12SP400.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like the drain for spark plug hole...the head could be cracked internally. I dont see how a headgasket could cause a leak there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanks guys now I'm getting somewhere!. Shane I'll pull the plug after work and let you know. Whouldnt there be a helluva a lot white smoke from the exhaust?. Polman thanks for the diagram that's the same diagram the dealer looked at but now that you pointed it out that helps. The Allen head with the crush washer is the one next to the leak on my picture correct? Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
You would not have white smoke if it is what shane-o is thinking.
He's thinking the antifreeze is dribbling into the plug well from somewhere above it, and then you are seeing it come out the drain hole - but it's not originating there.

Here's holding out hope that you simply have a loose hose clamp somewhere above the engine, and the fluid is just making its way down to the plug well and out that drain. That would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to fix than a cracked head.

The spark plug drain hole exists to drain off any water and small grit that gets into your spark plug well, so that when you pull the plug out, that stuff doesn't fall down into your cylinder.

Here's a good illustration of that:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The problem with the spark plug well drain theory is that in your photo, it looks more like a cap bolt to me. Someone said allen head, and that looks right. Also someone found a reference in the manual to a "blind plug" in the diagram which fits that theory.

So if it is a plug bolt, that's not a hole, and no fluid should be coming out of it.
It's still possible that the blind plug is simply loose, and antifreeze is seeping out around the threads of that plug. That would be a cheap/easy fix too, if you can get in there with a wrench.

If the spark plug well thing doesn't get you anywhere, I suggest taking the machine apart to get at that area so you can scrub that area, get a better picture, and see if that is a threaded plug that is loose.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've got some places to start now anyway. Never though about that spot where its leaking actually being a bolt I've always just looked at it wet so it would be hard to tell. A hose is a good idea to. My dad swears when he rode it that he could always smell coolant when it first got warm but not me so maybe its been slowly leaking somewhere since new. I've only added a half quart of coolant since last February when I first bough it until now. We got that damn storm here in pa and the current temp is -23 and our garage isn't heated so I'm not ripping into it today lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, if it isn't blowing white smoke, it starts easy after sitting for a while (cylinder is not filling with antifreeze), and there are no other symptoms, you're probably OK to let it wait until the weather is better for working on it. But who knows?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep starts fine every time and runs great. That's why I'm thinking it can't be real major. Its doesn't start leaking until the engine is warm. Do you know what the psi of the system should be? I put a 13lb cap on off of my truck just for giggles and it almost seemed liked it slowed the leak. It wasnt leaking at an idle just when I took it across the field maybe it was just me having hi hopes lol. Thanks for the help man!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry, I don't know any specifics for that machine, just general stuff.

Have you checked to see that the coolant overflow reservoir is at the proper hot and cold levels, and that it does change levels when it warms up? It won't prove or disprove anything, it's just something that you can easily check to verify that the system seems to be working properly otherwise.

Only leaking when it is warm does support the theory of a loose plug bolt, and the antifreeze is only leaking out when under pressure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I was advised by another member to pay attention to what the overflow tank does. It is indeed working. At min mark when cold once warm it goes up to max almost. Radiator was drawing the fluid while it was running and the fan works. Loose bolt would be great just gotta start looking!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts