Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is the first quad from polaris I have ever bought. I took delivery of this quad last week and just started to look it over once I was home. Found the engine oil was about 1/2 pint low. Which in a car is no big deal, but this machine only holds little over 2 qts total. The coolant overflow tank was empty. The tires were loose on all four corners. Also the chain adjustment locking bolts were loose, so the chain was very slack. And the engine runs rough, the carb needs cleaned. And they didnt even fill the 3 gallon tank with gas. Did I mention this was a new machine?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
what model? did the the dealer give you a copy of the prep sheet that should both be signed by the mechanic and your sales person? they should have. that check off list is quite extensive, sounds like they screwed up. i would file a complaint with both the dealer and polaris, so they know that this dealer might not be doing what they should be. polaris will put the curtain on dealers that cant follow routine and simple stuff like a dealer prep. this is a big deal to them! start calling and bitching, and maybe find a new dealer to go to

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a outlaw 500 from this small dealer. This unit was a left over they had in stock for several years. No there was no dealer prep sheet. I even had told them to go thru everything before I picked it up. They did however grease some of the fittings.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
they failed at their job! yes there was a dealer prep sheet, and yes they can print a new one out from the dealer website. there is no excuses for that. are you in IN? ill see if i can figure out who the polaris regional rep is for that area. you need to contact polaris about this. demand they step in to make it right. you spend that much money on a machine you expect it to be ready to go right off the bat.

here is the issue. i worked and now do summer work (full time student) at a small polaris dealer myself. we also had an outlaw 500 that we had for 3 years before it sold. it took our mechanic 4 hours to prep it because it needed a lot of TLC from sitting. carb clean, lube, new rubber hoses, the works. we had to dump a lot of money to make it right, but the new owners never had a problem with it! the dealer is just trying to short cut the process and the only one getting screwed is you. email or call polaris and complain. ill see if i can find the name of the rep in your area

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the dealer was monstermotorsusa here in fort wayne indiana. Dont get me wrong though. They seem like nice guys. The also seem determined to make sure they will address what concerns I have. But I am just disappointed that they didn't even go thru the machine before delivery, even though I specifically asked them too. The reason I asked them to give some special attention is becuase it did set for so long. So far I have found that the side panels and the front nose body work have cracked attachment tabs. Looks like the fasteners that hold these plastic parts on were over tightened and the tabs are broke. It was like this on the show room floor. My biggest complaint is runs very rough. I think the carb needs cleaned. Which they dealer said they would do no problem.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
good, glad they said they would. a machine that has been sitting for that long will undoubtly need a carb clean, new battery if the battery was filled, and new fuel. you will also want to inspect all the rubber componets as they tend to get hard and crack when they do not move or expand and contract like they are designed to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well one thing I made sure of is that the battery was supposedly replaced. Because it sat for so long I knew it would be bad. So far it starts fine. I also made them drain and replace the gas in the tank before I picked it up, but it still doesn't run all that well and will just die sometimes at or near idle. At first I thought it was just becuase it was so new and the engine was tight. I have since run a tank full of new gas with some sea foam carb cleaner thru it. It runs better, but the off idle to midrange is still very rough, and again it sometimes just dies.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
probably needs a new float, new needle and seat, and new jets in the carbs. all that is probably just gunked up. you can always load test the battery. that will give you an idea whether it is new or about to crap out on you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got the carb off the quad and to the dealer. Found the were several of the jets did have debris in them. Also removed the brass plug on the idle needle. The idle was soo lean it was no wonder I had to leave the choke on for 20 minutes and even then it didn't want to idle well. The factory setting is 2.5 turns out on the idle screw, and this was found at 5 turns? All is good now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts