Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi newbie question here. I went to two dealers for plow and winch installation. One dealer said the 66 is too big for my sportsman 570 and it is really designed more for the rzr. and the other dealer said its ok. I really want a bigger plow to make the job faster since I have a really long driveway 250 feet. I'm also looking into the Denali plow and probably viper max winch. I got quoted for $ 1,400 for the entire setup including labor for 66 inch and 1,200 for 60inch. Thanks in advance

Max

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You could have a 90" plow on it and it will still lose traction long before it will push a full load with even a 50" plow. 250' long is nothing on an atv with a plow unless you have over 4" of wet heavy snow. They will never push what a truck does, and you will find yourself only using 1/3 of the width per pass much more than the full width anyway.

We've got the denali on sale till end of the month since you're looking at them. 60" with a 2500 max winch would run you about $600 shipped.

Plows

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Hi newbie question here. I went to two dealers for plow and winch installation. One dealer said the 66 is too big for my sportsman 570 and it is really designed more for the rzr. and the other dealer said its ok. I really want a bigger plow to make the job faster since I have a really long driveway 250 feet. I'm also looking into the Denali plow and probably viper max winch. I got quoted for $ 1,400 for the entire setup including labor for 66 inch and 1,200 for 60inch. Thanks in advance

Max
Unless your snowfalls are 1/4" of powder, the bigger blade wont help any. Id go with what Ryan suggested and get a 60".

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Like Ryan said, Traction is going to be the biggest issue. and 66 isn't going to get you much more per run. I'd save the money. Especially considering that if you get a lot of snow fall, to keep up with the snow, and maintain traction you're going to have to be out there earlier and more often with the larger plow.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Even with my 850 being heavy as hell, when the snow was thick and heavy if I angled the blade and did a full blade width, it would push it. However it would slide my front end over a bit. And that's with a 60" . Imo 54 -60 is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got a 60" plow and my driveway is a honest 4x longer than yours. An extra 3" width on either side isnt gonna make a noticeable difference. Id stick with the 60"

·
Registered
286 Posts
No matter what size you get you are going to make two passes each way. I had the 60 for a 900' drive way and it worked out fine. I would not want a bigger plow, just big enough to be wider than the atv at angle

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
I agree with the others. Go with the 60". Even with the 60", traction will be an issue in heavy wet snow or drifts. If you get in too deep, it will just shove the front end over. On my 325 machine I add my big butt and a sandbag to the rear rack and don't have too much problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you will be doing sidewalks 54" is as big as you can go without tearing up the lawn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the great tips. Im going with 60 inch steel plow. Follow up question do I need chains for 20% incline in my driveway. my driveway goes up on incline towards the road. I guess i can always go up and plow all the way down to the end. I'm not sure if ill need chains in going up to start. thanks again for all your tips

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do i improve traction when I plow. Should i load the back with sand bags to make it heavier. Sorry for newbie question

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The dealer probably recommended the 66" plow because he has a ton of them in stock and has to move them. Go with a 60" and you will love it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have a 60" polaris setup. I wanted the weight of the steel for a little more downforce. Never had a traction issue, even in 6" of heavy stuff. I have bighorn 2.0 tires tho...not sure if that makes too much of a difference in wet pavement/snow. As said before, 60" is perfect because it is still slightly wider than the wheelbase of the ATV on an angle, and pushes just enough snow to be efficient. Hope this eases some of your concerns. I don't use chains, by the way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As far as chains goes I'd just wait and see if you're going to need them. I haven't plowed with my Sportsman yet, I had a plow on my ZTR mower. It is really heavy, about twice as heavy as the ATV. Sometimes I needed chains and other times I didn't. I could always do it without the chains though. Ended up getting them and just leaving them on all winter since that was the only thing I was doing with the mower. On the ATV you might want to ride other times and if you can get away with not needing them you won't have to keep putting them on and off.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I usually plow in 2wd. I have pushed 2ft easy while in 2wd just crawling along.

The weight of the machine is more than enough. If you need weight, you are trying to push too much.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I still have the stock tires on my 2006 and never had the need for chains in Pa snows. As for the grade of your drive way, worse case sanario, just plow down the hill on the first pass. After that , you will be able to go up and down. My neighbor has a steep driveway. I helped him out when he was out of town. I had to plow down hill to start but the snow had been sitting there for three days before I realized he was out of town. It was crusted and icy.
I do put two 40 pound bags of ice melt in my rear box just for a little weight. Don't really need it , but it helps prevent the rear end from kicking out if you catch an edge

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case anyone reviews this while searching plows in 2019... you take the 66 inch blade on 850 or utv. Reason is at angle you want the run off clearing the bike and not being in the drive line of your tires.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Im not sure how much wider the 850 is then the 570 but I run a 60 inch on my 570, and even when angled it does fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you have sidewalks do not get either one. Stay with the 52 which when angled is an exact match for the width of a sidewalk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts