Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 850SP. 2" lift. New GP bushings all around. Horrible wobble begins at 40ish. Stops when not going straight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
What have you checked? Alignment / camber/caster / tie rod ends / steering linkage from the handlebars to the power steering spline / etc. . You may even need to go as far as getting the wheels balanced. No common on ATV's but when you are at a loss in a situation like that it is another rabbit hole last ditch effort option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What have you checked? Alignment / camber/caster / tie rod ends / steering linkage from the handlebars to the power steering spline / etc. . You may even need to go as far as getting the wheels balanced. No common on ATV's but when you are at a loss in a situation like that it is another rabbit hole last ditch effort option.
Toe was insanely off. My friend eye balled it when he did the tie rods (before I bought it). Front of the tire measured 41". Rear measured 44". I believe I'm currently at 1/4" difference now.

I would've updated the post faster if I didn't get a phone call.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Toe was insanely off. My friend eye balled it when he did the tie rods (before I bought it). Front of the tire measured 41". Rear measured 44". I believe I'm currently at 1/4" difference now.

I would've updated the post faster if I didn't get a phone call.

All good. Just trying to give you pointers on what to possibly look for. You may have already looked at most of those items but I wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
12,881 Posts
Rectangle Wood Pink Material property Box

·
Super Moderator
15,147 Posts
What you describe is usually the tires. Many ATV tires, depending on brand, are notorious for being severely out of round and/or out or out of balance. Get them professionally balanced. Front AND rear. May not take away all the shimmy but it will significantly reduce it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All good. Just trying to give you pointers on what to possibly look for. You may have already looked at most of those items but I wasn't sure.
Thanks. Some of those things I wouldn't have considered. The death wobble is gone, even when going straight! I hit 66.. small inconsistent shaking at random speeds, so I might go for a wheel balance, too.

The guy before me had it for a week. I didn't ride it before taking it apart to address the one way bearing. That's when I changed all bushings, etc. The problematic steering coupler is brand new, and I also cross drilled and bolted it to the shaft. The front end is tighter than a frog's asshole, so I don't know if that causes too much feedback which allows one to feel EVERYTHING.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,319 Posts
Thanks. Some of those things I wouldn't have considered. The death wobble is gone, even when going straight! I hit 66.. small inconsistent shaking at random speeds, so I might go for a wheel balance, too.

The guy before me had it for a week. I didn't ride it before taking it apart to address the one way bearing. That's when I changed all bushings, etc. The problematic steering coupler is brand new, and I also cross drilled and bolted it to the shaft. The front end is tighter than a frog's asshole, so I don't know if that causes too much feedback which allows one to feel EVERYTHING.

Yes, it’s true Polaris power steering is a little too powerful at higher speeds, I finally got used to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts