Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I would like to check the Demand Drive fluid level but the plug is obstructed by the winch mounting bracket and winch.
Can anyone give me advice on what to remove and how to, to access the filler plug?

Thankyou

·
Registered
282 Posts
You didn't say what machine you have but if it is a fairly recent 500 the easiest way is to remove a couple of screws that hold the plastics and pull the 4 bolts that hold the winch on. Set a small stand in front of the machine and set the winch on it. Wires should be long enough to do this. You can now access the front drives. Seems like a lot of work but really is only a five minute job. That is what I had to do with my 2011 500.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TIP! It's a 2013 and I removed the 2 screws holding the plastic guard but it was still secured at the top.Could'nt remove it thought it would break.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Kind of forget what my 2011 looked like but check and see if there are 2 more screws on the sides of that plastic panel. I know on mine it was quite simple. I will go and have a look at my 550. I am sure it is differant but the plastic may be the same.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Should be 4 screws. 2 on lower sides and 2 on the front face of the grill

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my plastic is the same on the front. There are also 2 screws down low on the sides.
Sorry TIP,I had a brain fart with this simple diassembly of my Brush guard over the plastic guard, but thanks to you and another site member waking me up its a done deal.Memory is not like it use to be.
Thankyou for your help, much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Demand Drive Fluid Good

I checked the fluid level for the first time and its good.
Thanks Bros.

·
12,245 Posts
Rather than go to all that trouble, its a lot easier to just drain it and refill with the correct amount through the vent hose. If it don't leak it can't get low between changes...just my $.02

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You are not getting any of the sediment out using the vent tube.

It is not that time consuming to unbolt the winch.

Rather than go to all that trouble, its a lot easier to just drain it and refill with the correct amount through the vent hose. If it don't leak it can't get low between changes...just my $.02

·
12,245 Posts

Huh?? How do you get sediment out by taking the winch loose to remove the FILL plug to check the oil level? Unless I read it wrong, the OP was only checking the level.
My point is that it can't get low on oil if there is no leak. Its much easier to remove the DRAIN plug which would drain any sediment and then refill with the proper amount through the vent hose. It just seems to me like a lot of unnecessary work just to CHECK the oil level. You can change it in about 15 minutes without taking the winch off. I suppose if you just like spending time in the garage taking stuff loose and putting it back for no real reason its probably more fun to do it the hard way.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Huh?? How do you get sediment out by taking the winch loose to remove the FILL plug to check the oil level? Unless I read it wrong, the OP was only checking the level.
My point is that it can't get low on oil if there is no leak. Its much easier to remove the DRAIN plug which would drain any sediment and then refill with the proper amount through the vent hose. It just seems to me like a lot of unnecessary work just to CHECK the oil level. You can change it in about 15 minutes without taking the winch off. I suppose if you just like spending time in the garage taking stuff loose and putting it back for no real reason its probably more fun to do it the hard way.
And how do you do that? The winch bolts in front of the front diff, blocks the fill plug. In 2011 they raised the rad and relocated the winch down directly in front of the front diff, totally opposite of your 06.

·
12,245 Posts
You drain it with the drain plug and fill it through the vent hose. You never need to get to the fill plug or remove the winch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do I know if Im at the right level filling it through the vent tube?Manual states checking fluid level being at the bottom of the fill plug threads.
Thanks Williambos and Polman

·
12,245 Posts
Use a measuring cup. Your manual will tell you how much. IIRC its around 9 ozs. You'll need a small funnel and trickle it in slowly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would be more conserned about the presents of water in the front drives than the time it takes to pull the winch. I like to check my fluids for water quite often when submerging in water holes and creeks. By never checking the fill hole you have no idea what is in there unless you are going to change the filuids every time you submerge the lower part of the wheeler. I am not too keen on having water mixed with the oil sloshing around my bearings waiting until my servise schedule comes up. I also think that once you get used to pulling the winch it is just about as fast as trying to pour 9 oz of oil through a tiny air vent tube. I also like to periodicly crawl under the wheeler and look for potential problems and tighten, adjust, or repair before they become a major breakdown. I quess you could put me in the category of one who likes to be hands on in my shop. I have never considered that a waste of time but instead it is constructive time. Just my opinion. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I would be more conserned about the presents of water in the front drives than the time it takes to pull the winch. I like to check my fluids for water quite often when submerging in water holes and creeks. By never checking the fill hole you have no idea what is in there unless you are going to change the filuids every time you submerge the lower part of the wheeler. I am not too keen on having water mixed with the oil sloshing around my bearings waiting until my servise schedule comes up. I also think that once you get used to pulling the winch it is just about as fast as trying to pour 9 oz of oil through a tiny air vent tube. I also like to periodicly crawl under the wheeler and look for potential problems and tighten, adjust, or repair before they become a major breakdown. I quess you could put me in the category of one who likes to be hands on in my shop. I have never considered that a waste of time but instead it is constructive time. Just my opinion. Whatever floats your boat.
I agree completely. I slso look over the wiring to tne winch on the contactor, the front diff, and other things too.

I have never use a quick lube, because they are quick for a reason. Spped is not always everything!!

·
12,245 Posts
Oil is lighter than water. Any water in there will be on the BOTTOM where you can't see it through the fill hole unless you have recently stirred it up. If it's milky it needs changed anyway. Water won't really hurt your bearings when its mixed up in solution with the oil. The damage comes when the machine sits for a while and the water separates and goes to the bottom. It then rusts a place on the bearings making it rough so that when you ride again it wears quickly. The only way to really tell if you have water intrusion or metal particles is to drain the oil into a clean container and inspect it. If you run in water a lot you should be changing the gearcases every few rides anyway. I'm not saying you guys are wrong in removing the winch to simply LOOK in the fill hole, just that its not necessary when you can go ahead and change the oil a much easier and faster way and not have to worry about. I spend many hours per week in the shop working on ATV's and side by sides and don't have the luxury of just taking stuff off and putting it back on for fun. Like you said..."Whatever floats yer boat."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts