Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, desperate new guy here. I just aquired a 2001 polaris 90. I had carb problems so I bought a new carb from the dealer. It also has the electric choke. It starts and idles great. Heres the problem. I can put it on stands and run it to full throttle no problem clutches are working and wheels are turning. BUT when I put it on the ground and try it the engine just bogs and won't even climb over my foot. I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Clutch is shot!!!! By the way, welcome here!! Bruce is falling down on the job!!! hehehe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh, I took the belt cover off and ran it. on stands the belt moves up the clutch like it should and the engine sounds great. On the ground the engine wont even rev up enough to get the drive pulley to squeeze together. Is there any chance it could be the cdi box or anything electrical? I think not but I'm new here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ever find a solution to this? I have one doing what sounds like the exact same thing. You can start it once and it runs great. Next time it will start right up and idle fine, but won't rev up at all. It has gotten progressively worse where it does it most of the time now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I haven't figured it out yet. I found a blazer atv parts dealer so I may order a whole new clutch setup. We'll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if you figure the clutches are working then have you got the govener on still its locate by the throtle a little black screw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its not the governor screw. And I don't see how it can be in the clutches. It will take right off and go just fine. I will stop and let it idle for a minute and go to take off and it just sputters. It is like it isn't getting fuel I can pump the throttle and it tries to rev but won't enogh to get it moving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have you checked the fuel flow? It sounds like it runs fine until it burns up all of the fuel in the carb bowl and then is starved for fuel. Then if it sits for a while, the bowl slowly fills up again. If you take the fuel line off of the carb, does the fuel flow freely?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the link. That gives me a few things to try. Fuel flow is good. The barb for the oil line broke when I was pulling the carb off. So I have to fix that now. The machine currently doesn't have a battery in it. It hasn't had one for a while. Always just used the kick start and it seemed to run fine. Could that be my problem?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know much about these little engines, but could your timing be off? The stator and stator plate in my Xplorer 400 were both loose enough to move back and forth while it was running making the timing very erratic causing it to run poorly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put the new battery in it and fixed the oil line. It started right up and ran pretty good. Kids rode it around the yard for a bit and it seemed good. I took it down the road and it ran great. Stopped and turned around to come back and it barely had any power. By the time I got back to the house it barely wanted to go up the driveway. got off and lifted up the back end and it revved up just fine. What could be causing the power loss with the engine hot? I have a few ideas to check just looking for personal experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
deja vu!!!!had all of the same issues.i am not a mechanic,so iwould not post if i did not think i was so sure.it is the electrical circuit that controls the choke on the carb.if you convert it will work!

·
Registered
22 Posts
deja vu!!!!had all of the same issues.i am not a mechanic,so iwould not post if i did not think i was so sure.it is the electrical circuit that controls the choke on the carb.if you convert it will work!
You are right. Polaris had a lot of problems with the electric chokes. I've put a lot of kits in for the manual chokes and its solved alot of running problems.

Sent from my Lifeproof iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I love it when someone revives an old thread with a new, but similar problem.

Regardless of the method of choke mechanism, the problem is usually carb related - the engine is getting too much air and not enough fuel to generate power or if it's a two stroke, the compression may be too low to generate power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love it when someone revives an old thread with a new, but similar problem.

Regardless of the method of choke mechanism, the problem is usually carb related - the engine is getting too much air and not enough fuel to generate power or if it's a two stroke, the compression may be too low to generate power.
I've already tried that method, even before then I never messed with the tune and never had a problem until recently. I did find that if I hold down the throttle long enough it will smother out and run fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts