Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I just wanted to give a little feedback on the OTB powersports diagnostic tool I ordered to figure out the problem I was having.
It cost $399 but not to have to tow my machine to the dealer every time I have a P.I.T.A problem was worth it to me.
So, I was having issues with my machine starting, idling, and keep running. Replaced the fuel pump, replaced all wiring with new pig tails,
on top of block, checked all wires, checked tps settings, voltage regulator, amongst a slew of other things and still could not keep my machine
running. For reference no check engine or engine codes displayed.
I ordered the OTB diag tool and received it this past Saturday. I downloaded and updated the software/firmware, hooked it up via a laptop to my
machine and within literally 3 minutes had the answer to all my problems (at least I believe so). Come to find out it came back as a bad throttle
control assembly, so I ordered a new hand throttle assembly, a new throttle cable (just in case eventhough my current one still seems ok) and new
replacement throttle hand control replacement wire pigtail.
Just to double check and confirm that the hand throttle assembly had failed...I tested pins 1 & 2 of the throttle control and checked the ohms...if you press the trottle
the resistance is supposed to change....and lo and behold...no change in resistance. Bad throttle control confirmed.
I'll post an update once I receive and replace the parts.

·
10,586 Posts
I've looked at the OTB tool myself. I was wondering how well it worked.
If you're interested in getting most of your money back once you've got everything lined out just let me know. I'd be interested in a slightly used one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at the OTB tool myself. I was wondering how well it worked.
If you're interested in getting most of your money back once you've got everything lined out just let me know. I'd be interested in a slightly used one.
Polman,
Honestly, for as long as I have my machine, I'd like to keep it around to diagnose any future issues. My neighbor has (2) 570's the same year as mine, and my other neighbor has a couple of Polaris sleds that it'll work on too. So far I'm pretty impressed with it...but...if I was looking to get rid of it, you'd be the first one that i'd PM sir.

Reactions: polman500

·
Premium Member
9,727 Posts
I was looking at their scan tool not to long ago. If it does my 800 I might have to spring for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at their scan tool not to long ago. If it does my 800 I might have to spring for it.
From the description, it does 2009 to current Polaris atv’s and sleds. Diag hookup on machines are same and compatible with harness.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
9,727 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm it will work on my 800 and 570!!!!!!

I'm going to think about it!!

·
10,586 Posts
Go ahead and get it bp!!
After you get done playing I'll pay the shipping for you to send it and let me play a couple weeks lol.

·
Premium Member
9,727 Posts
lol, sounds like a plan!!!! Its tough i just cant seem to be able to justify it. I've been eyeing a Hobart MIG welder for 6wks now and haven't pulled the trigger. Honestly i cant feel that i have achieved full MANHOOD with out joining 2 pieces of metal together. Yet here i am still without that Hobart MIG welder, damn it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
lol, sounds like a plan!!!! Its tough i just cant seem to be able to justify it. I've been eyeing a Hobart MIG welder for 6wks now and haven't pulled the trigger. Honestly i cant feel that i have achieved full MANHOOD with out joining 2 pieces of metal together. Yet here i am still without that Hobart MIG welder, damn it!!!!!!!
I have a Hobart 110v MIG, a Century 250 amp 220 volt AC/DC stick and a 110 volt Schumacher stick welder as well as a Victor oxy/acetelyne torch set and I believe it do most of my welding with the torch (not brazing, but aluminum and steel 'fusion' welding) - fusion welding is the melting of the base metal and use of a filler rod if needed - for steel, any mild steel wire (coat hanger, bailing wire, or un-fluxed welding rod) will work - a certified welder watched me weld a frame back together with the torch and commented that what I did was a lost art - he said he couldn't do it, but he could TIG weld and I can't, so we're even.

I have looked at many scan tools and haven't pulled the trigger on one yet - next dealer show will be 2021 in Cincinnati and maybe I will find one there that I like enough to spring for.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Between bp405, polman500, and I if we each go a 1/3 it would really be affordable!

Reactions: polman500
1 - 13 of 13 Posts