Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im looking to make a trip from Pa to Wyoming hauling my 570. I am wonder how is it driving with the machine that high on the bed? Dont feel like getting a trailer and hauling it behind and having the hassle of finding parking etc on that long of a trip. Dont want to put it in the bed as i need that space for coolers and gear. So, how does it affect driving? Would i be able to do 70 mph using the diamondback system? Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
My bro-in-law has a Diamond Back cover on his new Chevy Duramax Dually. We've carried two full-sized 4x4s on there down to Hatfield McCoy and you'd never know we had two quads on there. In fact, his truck rode better with the added weight on top.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Toyota Tundra and i think the side load may be best for me. I saw them at the Harrisburg Sport show and said to myself, "self, that looks very top heavy". I have searched all over the net and cannot find any comments about the ride. Just some dont like driving them up and down that high, but it does not bother me. Thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have one on my 1500HD. I use it to haul our 2 Sportsman units when traveling across America with our motorhome. I installed airbags in the rear to help aid with the extra weight. We keep the quads on the back of the truck when not using them. The truck drives just fine. The main weight of the ATV is located in the center of the truck so there is no sway. It is a awesome setup.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I haven't personally used them, but I've seen the system on a tundra, and the owners had nothing but praise for it. Not sure what kind of ATV's they typically hauled on it. When I saw it, we were loading a washer & Dryer onto it for a move.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I saw while searching this topic that some were not crazy about driving up and down from top of the bed. I know from when I had a 3/4 Ram 2500 and short ramps that taking it out backwards was like a ride at an adventure park.

I am talking to Diamondback today.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
people need to stop using short ramps... My trailer sits at about 22"-23" deck height and I still built 8' ramps for it. did they need to be that long? no, but it's a lot nicer loading and unloading them that way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The ramps that came with the Diamond back cover are slightly arched and LONG. They fold in half to fit in the bed. Make sure you wear a helmet loading/unloading :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
This is kind of beside the point, sorry. But why don't you just put the ATV in the bed and get one of those hitch mounted cargo racks for whatever coolers etc you're carrying. Just seems a lot cheaper and easier than the diamondback. Anyway, I know this isn't the question you're asking so feel free to ignore this suggestion.

Well pulled the trigger on the diamondback. Thanks to all
Oh, never mind. Enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ramps that came with the Diamond back cover are slightly arched and LONG. They fold in half to fit in the bed. Make sure you wear a helmet loading/unloading :)
Thanks. I always do. Had a motorcycle accident years ago and if i did not have a helmet on i would be missing a chunk of my brain. And believe me i cant spare any.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is kind of beside the point, sorry. But why don't you just put the ATV in the bed and get one of those hitch mounted cargo racks for whatever coolers etc you're carrying. Just seems a lot cheaper and easier than the diamondback. Anyway, I know this isn't the question you're asking so feel free to ignore this suggestion.

Well pulled the trigger on the diamondback. Thanks to all
Oh, never mind. Enjoy.
Well i will be traveling from Pa to Wyoming and being able to lock up my ramps and coolers if i stop at a hotel is a big plus. Second, i cant take off the atv without taking the coolers off and set them off to the side. Third, even if i go riding for the day i dont have to wrap my ramps with a cable lock and leave them exposed in the bed. Fourth, during deer season i can put the deer in the bed, atv on top. I cant fit the atv and deer both in the bed. Those carriers that fit in the hitch are ok but your gear or deer is filthy if its sloppy out. I have been there done that.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As for piggy backing a hitch carrier onto a truck with an ATV in the bed, that just reads pain in the ass in every which way. as pointed out, not secure, not protected.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well i will be traveling from Pa to Wyoming and being able to lock up my ramps and coolers if i stop at a hotel is a big plus. Second, i cant take off the atv without taking the coolers off and set them off to the side. Third, even if i go riding for the day i dont have to wrap my ramps with a cable lock and leave them exposed in the bed. Fourth, during deer season i can put the deer in the bed, atv on top. I cant fit the atv and deer both in the bed. Those carriers that fit in the hitch are ok but your gear or deer is filthy if its sloppy out. I have been there done that.
Makes sense to me. Too rich for my blood but it sounds like it'll work pretty well. It definitely looks cool. Congrats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not to rich for your blood. Money is made to be spent, that is why they print more if it each day. :rotflmao:

·
Registered
619 Posts
ha good point. i've just got a few other toys on the list before truck bed covers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts