Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 sportsman 800 efi last august and i love it! Everything about it! But after seeing so much about the 850 xp Im wondering if i messed up buy the 800? Dont get me wrong i love my 800 guess im just wondering is the 850 really that much better?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well it has a totally different ride, wider foot wells and mine have power steering. Only you can make your mind up. I bought xp's because I swore about 3 cars ago that I would never have option envy again.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it has a totally different ride, wider foot wells and mine have power steering. Only you can make your mind up. I bought xp's because I swore about 3 cars ago that I would never have option envy again.
ha yea know one likes to envy. I didnt know much about the xp when i bought the 800 and now finding out more so thats why i was wondering. I cant believe the hp difference! Im gonna throw a clutch kit in my 800 in a month or two and that will really help get me some power

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Good plan. I put a qsc in one of my XP's and I can guarantee that I will be in touch with Ridinagain to get another one for the other one. It really made a huge difference. Look him up, he is in your area and on this board.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What inrbigness said!

The XP platform and value line ride feel and handle very differently. It's all a matter of preference. If you really think you bought the wrong one, maybe you should trade up before you start adding many miles and modding the 800?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 800. Great atv. If you are happy with it just keep on riding it. I will warn you to stay off of the 850 though if you haven't already been on one. They are very different machines, especially with the power steering, and to me, to ride one is to want one. :)

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
no, you bought the one that worked for you at the time. Costs less and has less horse power. option envy is not really worth your time. you've got an excellent ride, plenty of power, and an overall great machine.

Could you have more? yeah. but the real question is do you really need it? the added power really only comes into play at top speed. so unless you like spending all your time in smooth open fields or on roads you're never going to need it. The ride, is cushier, but has been described as riding a couch through the trails. I personally like to feel a little bit more of what I'm riding over.

The only reason I could justify an XP over the Value line in my eyes are if the Ergos fit me better. But you've already stated you love your 800. so obviously the ergos work for you.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good plan. I put a qsc in one of my XP's and I can guarantee that I will be in touch with Ridinagain to get another one for the other one. It really made a huge difference. Look him up, he is in your area and on this board.
yep already in contact with him. seems like a great guy for answering your questions. Good customer service and a good product??? cant ask for much more

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, you bought the one that worked for you at the time. Costs less and has less horse power. option envy is not really worth your time. you've got an excellent ride, plenty of power, and an overall great machine.

Could you have more? yeah. but the real question is do you really need it? the added power really only comes into play at top speed. so unless you like spending all your time in smooth open fields or on roads you're never going to need it. The ride, is cushier, but has been described as riding a couch through the trails. I personally like to feel a little bit more of what I'm riding over.

The only reason I could justify an XP over the Value line in my eyes are if the Ergos fit me better. But you've already stated you love your 800. so obviously the ergos work for you.
what im thinking exactly. It was in my cost range, has plenty of power
and a great ride and hey ive lived my whole life with out power steering so i dont need it now ( i knew if i had it once i cld never go back to with out it lol)

·
Registered
373 Posts
XP's might have a better ride & more gadgets' but have you had to work on any of them compaired to the value line?? I have & would rather have the value line ANYDAY over the xp's. I've had experience on a 550 & 850. In my eyes you made a good choice!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked up a 2013 800. Wife talked me into, warranty or not. There was a couple of used 850 at the dealership. One option i wish it had was power steering. But i don't have to worry about not enough power.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XP's might have a better ride & more gadgets' but have you had to work on any of them compaired to the value line?? I have & would rather have the value line ANYDAY over the xp's. I've had experience on a 550 & 850. In my eyes you made a good choice!
I havent done much to it yet. Glad to know thevalue line id the easier to work on. Im sure they each have their perks with different things. Someone stated earlier i cld trade mine in for the 850....but honestly i dont think i would i really like mine and like what it offers. Have i rode a new 850? no and i probably wont cuz i dont want to see what power steering is like :veryhappy: I think im seeing all the hype about the 850's and nothing about the 800 because the 850 is whats new and trendy

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Bigger isn't necessarily better. I have plenty of fun on my old 500. Go out and enjoy it!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All i can say is i love my 800...i dont regret my choice on what i bought and never will. Just wanted other peoples opinions on the situation and had a moment of doubt after watching youtube videos but that moment went away fast and im very happy with my beast of a machine

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 800. Great atv. If you are happy with it just keep on riding it. I will warn you to stay off of the 850 though if you haven't already been on one. They are very different machines, especially with the power steering, and to me, to ride one is to want one. :)
Thats what happened to me. I went in to buy a 550 and the sales man said u really need to test drive the 850 before u buy one. So I did and I was like yea I need the 850 lol

S3

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thats what happened to me. I went in to buy a 550 and the sales man said u really need to test drive the 850 before u buy one. So I did and I was like yea I need the 850 lol

S3
I did the same thing button. I love my 850…that being said I had a ranger 800 xp and that motor was bulletproof. good low end torque, Okay mid-range, and so-so top.
Remember though, that was in a big SxS, I would imagine it has a good bit of get up in an ATV chassis. Does it have near as much as my 850, uh HECK NO.

I am a big guy and pretty experienced rider, and do I need all the power the 850 has, uh HECK NO…It sure is fun though.

The XP does handle quite differently. I honestly can't say one is way better than the other they just handle a lot differently.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You bought the right bike. Purchased a 2011 400ho and then upgraded to a 550xp eps the next year. Hind sight is always 20/20. Should of kept my 400. BTW the rear suspension on the xp models is stiff as crap with the new seat and big sway bar. Beat my back to death my first ride out. Yea my arms felt nice with the eps but my back was tore up. To each their own. Plus you dont have to worry about ball joints, bushings, or A-arm failures. Thats good piece of mine too...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Do you like riding your 800?
Is it fun?
Do you have thousands laying around to make an upgrade?

Are you beat to death at the end of the day riding your 800?

If at the end of the day you are ready to keep riding then keep riding the 800.

If at the end of the day you are pooped then go get an 850. You will not believe the difference.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an 850 and the guy I ride with the most has an 800. We are both happy with our rides. I have more power and power steering and he gets better gas mileage so we are both happy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts