Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went on a week fishing trip with my 2016 sportsman 450 and I'm at home cleaning it up and I'm suppose to go out riding this weekend and I just noticed I'm at 29hrs! I just looked in the service manual and it says first service at 25hrs. I don't think I can get it into the dealer in time now. Do I just run it? Cancel plans this weekend? Will it void my warranty? Also I just checked the oil and it's still golden.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The first services are essentially an oil and filter change. The reason for the oil change in the first hours of the bike is to flush all burrs or remains from the machining process of the engine at the manufacturing plant, not really because the oil life is out.

I personally don´t think you will damage your bike if you take it this weekend and you got to the dealer with let´s say 30 hours.

About the warranty, it depends on the dealer, my local dealer don´t give a s#it about hours, if something is broke before one year you get it replaced within warranty, but can´t talk for your local dealer.

Good luck.

·
8,935 Posts
Its not that critical to do the first change at an exact number of hours. It's only a recommendation. Go on your ride and service it when you get back. Your warranty CAN NOT legally be voided for that reason. In fact, you can do ALL your own service and it has NO effect on your warranty at all. You DO NOT have to pay the outrageous fees for dealership service just to preserve your warranty either. You also don't even have to use Polaris branded fluids so long as the ones you do use meet the requirements for the application.
All those things are common misconceptions about manufacturer warranties that are often perpetuated by the stealerships in order to rake in huge profits on service fees and to avoid honoring warranty coverage for manufacturer defects.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah. Don't panic. Just make sure your oil is up and enjoy your ride. If your ocd won't let you relax. Drop the oil yourself and fill with new and just run the old filter till you get back. At least if there is any metal shavings in the oil, you've drained them out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K thanks I'm sure it'll be fine just don't want to void my warranty it's not a $30 coffee pot from wallys world lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called my local dealer. They told me 50hrs is my first service. I think after this weekend I'll do an oil change just to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts