Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a sportsman 500HO last spring. put 700 trial miles, no mudding. This spring heard a thumping sound coming from the clutch cover, call dealer they said it was a bad belt, bought new belt pulled old belt off a inspected and It looked fine. put old belt back on and I still have the thumping noise. tried it today and got it started, thumping noise was there, shut it off and now it will not start. Battery tested good, lights come on, fuses are ok, all I hear is a clicking noise coming from the battery. So now I have two problems with my 1 YEAR old machine. Took it to dealer, I have the extended warranty. Sales guy said the belt may have a flat spot that is causing the thumping, no idea why it will not start. VERY lucky this happened in my garage and not 30 miles into the trails I would be F**Ked because I usually ride alone. Battery was hooked up to a tender both times when I started it today, first time worked fine, second time would not start, have kept the battery on a tender all winter.
This is my first atv and the machine has not been abused at all. Could the battery tender have damaged my electrical system? And what about the belt?
Is it common to have a belt go out in the fist year? Not feeling very confident with this machine anymore.

·
Registered
805 Posts
This is my first atv and the machine has not been abused at all. Is it common to have a belt go out in the fist year?
I deal with this quite a lot. It is very common for somebody to damage a belt even if they are very easy on the machine. Please take no offense, but new riders damage belts far more often than a seasoned rider. The way a Polaris clutch system works, being too easy on it can make you unknowingly overheat and damage the belt. I have to deal with this a lot cause Polaris will NOT cover a burnt belt. New riders who dont have a good understanding of how the clutch system works get furious when I have to tell them that its basically their fault. Talk with your dealer more about the belt, take the belt back off and let them check it out. It does sound like a flat spot. Happens all the time.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well...since you never put the new belt on, there is no way to tell if the "thumping" noise has been solved by a belt swap. I do agree with Thomas though, you could easily have messed up the belt...people do it with way less time then just 1 year of ownership.

As for the electrical, is the clicking coming from the battery area or starter area?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Relax!

the potential belt flat spot is no big deal at all, just use it, usually not using it for a while is what causes that. I bought a 4 yr old 500 w/42 miles on it. So of course it had a flat spot, made that slight thump only when cold for a few mins then would go away, now that its warmed up here in central texas its not doing it at all, so let the weather warm up a bit where you are and it will go away, relax.

now the starting could be a bad batt cell, fuse popped or some other simple thing, relax it will be OK...these are great quads, you have the best model, best engine-most reliable, with some decent maintenance it can last you 20 yrs...

·
11,162 Posts
You can burn a belt in the first 10 minutes of riding if you let it slip. If you don't know what to look for, you usually can't really tell if a belt is bad just by LOOKING at it. You have to measure.
If you had a new belt in hand, why on earth would you not put it on to see if it solved the problem??
Your starting problem sounds like simply a starter or battery wire loose or a bad battery....both VERY simple fixes that would take all of about 5 minutes to track down and correct and very common for ANY brand of machine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Show em up polman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts