Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Polaris Diesel AWD will only work in reverse with override button pushed.
This is the model where the speedometer does not control anything. It is just a speedometer (needle) with a light bulb.

The AWD light turns on when I press the override button and the AWD does engage. When I put it in High or Low forward gear the light turns off and there’s no more AWD.

AWD does work in any gear if I directly send 12 volts to the hubs through a 12 volt bypass at the hubs wire harness connectors under the hood.

I’d like to make the AWD work through the switch. Any suggestions where I should trouble shoot? Why would the AWD work I reverse but shut off when shifted into forward?

On a side note, why would it be necessary to ever turn off the AWD? I get less wear on the mechanicals, but would there be another practical reason?

·
Registered
2015 SP 570 Touring. South La/MS
79 Posts
Steering.
Making a tight turn while locked in 4wd is a pain.

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Turning tight on a Polaris is not as bad as a Yamaha or Honda with full time AWD - with a Polaris it may actually turn tighter as only one front wheel is driving if the rears are slipping, but if the rears are not slipping, it turn as a 2 wheel drive so turning on dry surfaces is not affected by AWD as it is only engaged when the rear wheels lose traction.

The other question was answered in your other post.

·
Registered
2015 SP 570 Touring. South La/MS
79 Posts
As to why your 4WD only works in reverse/override, I”m not sure.
I’ve seen that issue discussed elsewhere on this site, but I can’t remember the details at the moment.

Does your speedometer work?
An inoperable speedometer can affect the 4WD system.

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
As to why your 4WD only works in reverse/override, I”m not sure.
I’ve seen that issue discussed elsewhere on this site, but I can’t remember the details at the moment.

Does your speedometer work?
An inoperable speedometer can affect the 4WD system.
His AWD did not work in forward due to a faulty switch in the shifter box - he verified that he switch was faulty, I provided the OEM part number and he found a new one on EBAY. The early models had a separate reverse speed limiter unit and many had no speedometer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts