Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2004 sportsman 500 whose front lights go dim when he puts it in forward gear a regardless if in 2 or 4 Wheel Drive. Lights appear to have correct intensity in reverse or neutral otherwise machine runs well with no other obvious electrical issues

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sounds like a grounding / electrical current flow issue...... I'd check and/or clean all machine grounds. Do they brighten back up when RPM's raise?

- Has he tried new bulbs?

- Cleaned bulb contacts, connectors, ect?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dim lights

to my way of thinking likely not bulbs or ground as they work fine while in reverse, only dim in forward gear

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have to agree with MustBeNice. There has to be something wrong with the wiring like a bad ground or worst case a bad stator. I suggest you put a voltmeter and see how much power it's generating on idle and in gear.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I agree with the others , a ground problem , try putting a jumper wire from the brown wire { skin the insulation back a little } on either headlight , which either is easier to get at , to ground , shouls cure the problem .

·
11,142 Posts
Sounds like a short somewhere in the wiring associated with the gear position switches on the tranny or one of the switches itself if the lights only dim when put in a forward gear. I'd suspect a tranny switch bad. Does the AWD work like it should?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts