Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, live on the western slope of Colo. just bought a new 08 sportsman 500 efi x2.haven't owned it but for 2 weeks. thought it would be the perfect machine for my needs. really disappointed in it. the last machine I owned was a 88 250 trailboss 2x4. at least i knew what my limitations were with it. I even believe my 250 two stroker will beat this 500 for power. anybody interested in taking over payments on what is owed only has 24 miles on it

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Sorry to hear this, and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 500's typically run strong. I would suspect that there is something wrong with it.
Go back to the dealer and ask to ride some other 500's to compare yours to. If you are looking for arm ripping power you are going to be dissapointed. It is a four stroke, built to last a long time and run quiet not like the ring a ding ding of the two stroke. And with the 500 you could forget about hauling extra gas like you have to with a 2 stroke.
I hope you give it some time to get used to it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes there are some 500 machines that have all they can do to go 45 mph and there are others that will go 65 mph. I have owned both and my 97 250 trailboss will beat both of them and that was before I modded it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you say this...I have a 2009 Sportsman500 HO 4 stroke its only 3 weeks old 4.5 hours on it...I've been slow to break it in, but did take it in some mudholes with 6 to 8 inches of water and it has endless power..even on the back farm roads it got over 50 miles an hour and still room on the throttle, but i did'nt want to push it..., but i'm sure it one of thoses 65 miles an hour work horses....I think you should take it back and see what goes....don't give up , their powerful machines see what goes...don't be unhappy....Muddie49

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what I'm looking for is low end power. I don't want to HOG it up hills and go bouncing all over, like I do with my 250 trailboss. the only way I could make it up the hill was to rev it way up and go screaming up the hill. not what I wanted in the machine. it is currently in the shop and haven't heard back yet! they though maybe controller/icm.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just remember an X2 weighs almost a 1000 pounds with gear and fuel , over 1000 with gear, fuel and rider. IMO 500 is going to be working its tail off in high alt sitatuons to move that much mass. My 800X2 at 7000-10,000 foot elivation feels like a 500-600cc machine does at see level.

If you are looking for performance at high altitudes you need to look at larger bore machines. The 500 will probably get you whereever you are going, it just might take a while longer than you might be wanting it too.

When I first started riding up in the Colorado mountains, we were riding 250 and 350 four stroke machines, and working the heck out of them. Then when 400s came out, later 500s and all the way to now we all ride 650s and up. Since we finally reached the 650-850cc range with all our machines, power is no longer an issue for any of us when we are riding in the higher elivations .

·
Registered
527 Posts
guest, You will benefit greatly by clutching your machine for the elevation. Just think as clutching as re gearing your machine. What size tires do you have on your machine?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have towed my friends Honda 400 sport bike with him and his girlfriend on it and my wife on the back of my 08 Sportsman 300 up and down 2 miles of rough terain with no problem. I've had it over 50 MPH on a straight. I think there is something wrong from the factory maybe. Your machine should be strong like a tank!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I received my machine back and took it back up where I'm building fence. the tech at the dealer told me he reflashed the icm, checked all connections and a few other things. he test road it for 42 miles:wow: anyway the machine is a totally different machine. I wonder if it needed broke in or if the reflash did it for the power? only problem now is oil leaks from the front diff. had it on a hill so steep today that the ADC locked the wheels and was skidding down the mountain, not much to do but hang on wait till the bottom. stil pissed at polaris and the owner of the dealer for the crappy treatment

1 - 12 of 12 Posts