Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, could use some expert advice with my 2013 Sportsman 550 X2.

I am tired of pulling off the front storage box every time i want to hook up my CTEK charger after snow plowing this winter. Just remembered that I have the comfort indicator eyelet connection in my cabinet for the charger that I could attach permanently and route under the box for easy access.

My question is when I disconnect the battery, do I lose the history of hours, trip odometer, etc. or will the memory be retained for the short period I would have the battery disconnected in this case? Not a major deal as I could write down the information for reference, just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you should be fine. do you lose those things in your car if the battery is dead?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
no you wont lose it...if that was so..every one selling one would take cable off....plus its only a 10 minute job installing the cable for maintainer....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I used the battery side of the solenoid and the main frame ground as maintainer hookup points.
This keeps the battery connections down to one wire on each terminal. Less to disturb when I eventually replace the battery.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take care of this tomorrow afternoon after plowing again in the morning.

ThorsHammer - its been a while since I have replaced a dead battery but did lose some electronic settings when dealer disconnected the battery in my wife's Ford Explorer to do steering assist repair recently.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll take care of this tomorrow afternoon after plowing again in the morning.

ThorsHammer - its been a while since I have replaced a dead battery but did lose some electronic settings when dealer disconnected the battery in my wife's Ford Explorer to do steering assist repair recently.
The odometer and total hours running time are stored in non-volatile memory. Tampering with odometer and hour meters is a federal felony in the US and Canada. Removing the battery will not reset these. In the unlikely event that it does you have faulty speed head.

User settable and re-settable parameters will drop back to defaults... emissions readiness flags, other self-learned ECM settings, trip-odometers, trip-hour-meters, clocks, and radio presets are examples that reset because they are stored in battery backed memory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy as apple pie; took more time to find the right socket than to unscrew, insert and tighten them back down. Brought hookup to right side of steering column, opposite side of fuel cap.

Thanks all for the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts