Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the quad out this weekend and got stuck in a crazy thunderstorm. Didn't stop us from riding though. Not sure if the moisture could have caused the problem.

Somewhere during our ride I noticed the reverse indicator on my 2002 sportsman 400 was displaying "R" for reverse when I was in high gear. I believe it also does it in Low. Neutral display is correct.

It's going into gear fine and runs OK the display is just wrong. I was worried that since the display was showing reverse that the reverse override would kick in but it didn't.

Anyone have this issue before? I have the manual and will be performing the gear positions indicator test outlined in the manual tonight. Once the switches are checked I'll need to investigate further if I don't find the problem.

I've got my annual trip to the UP in 31 days and I don't want to have any issues with the quad when I'm up there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
this sounds like its the gear position switch,its mounted on top of the transmission.check the connections,but you probably have to change the switch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connections were tight. I took them off to let them air out in case water got into the connection. I'm hoping it's just a switch. Going to check for proper continuity on the gear position switches tonight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought a linkage issue could cause the switches not to engage so I took them off and simulated all of the gears by hand. Wasn't able to get anything other than reverse and neutral. It did appear that the "R" and "N" might have both gone off for a split second once or twice. There is not much to these switches so I find it had to believe it could be them.

Got the plastics off. Going to start tracing wires

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears there was an issue with a connection. It appears to be working now. I can manually trigger the switches and I can get the "R" & "N" to go off. Going to do some maintenance and cleaning before I put her back together.

Looks like the wires go to the both the throttle control and the reverse override/light switch. I disconnected them when I removed the handlebar to remove the front plastic. Just for kicks I reconnected them to see what happened and go figure it worked. Not sure if water got in there or one of the connections loosened. Hopefully it all works once its put back together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after a full day shes back together and everything's working. Changed all the fluids, and greased all the zerks. The front diff was pretty milky so I'm going to run her a bit and change it again. Glad shes working again and ready for my UP trip...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good info.....never had that problem but if I do now I know what to check. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I went to put everything back together I noticed the connections were full dirt and had probably gotten wet. I cleaned the connection with electrical contact cleaner and applied some dielectic grease to the connections to prevent future issues. Haven't had the issue since.

Had I known the wires went through the handlebar switches I would have started there. Like most of us we don't work on these machines everyday so we have to learn as we go.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
dont have to remove handle bars to remove plastic, unbolt all plastc, remove gas cap, plastic will stretch to come up over haedlight pd , then turn it side ways and get right handle bar out of back of hole for gas tank and roll [plastic forward, its a pain but they do come off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts