Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
But all season will do?
I use Amsoil synthetic on all my grease zerks....If I'm in mud/water after every ride.no water every couple I check..here is the link to the Amsoil grease

AMSOIL - Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease (GLB)
On the prop shaft too? I really do not want multiple tubes for one bike.
Yea Will, I use the same grease on every zerk including the prop shaft..The Amsoil I use is a redy color...It looks and feels to be better quality then the black grease the dealer uses...$8 bucks a tube from Royal distributing down the street from me..Its more expensive but I don't ride all that much unless is hunting season So 1 tube has lasted me me around 11 months (60-70 hrs) and I grease after every ride with mud/water..And check after every ride...So far this year I have logged about 6 hrs of setting up 2 new tree stands, feeders and trail cams oh and clearing some scrub out to make it nicer for the deer to walk..So my 550 is a very lightly used bike...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great info. I need to get a supply soon so I have everything on hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many grease zerks are on my 2010 Sportsman 500? I've found 5 - one on each a-arm and one on the prop shaft. Am I missing any? Just bought a new tube of Mobile 1 synthetic and want to get ready for the "frankenstorm"!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many grease zerks are on my 2010 Sportsman 500? I've found 5 - one on each a-arm and one on the prop shaft. Am I missing any? Just bought a new tube of Mobile 1 synthetic and want to get ready for the "frankenstorm"!
There should be three on each rear arm - 2 lower 1 upper, 1 on each front arm, and the propshaft for a total of nine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On the rear, there is one on each lower, directly in the center of the "crossbar" on the inboard side. On the uppers, there are holes on the top of the a-arm on the inboard side, one at each frame connection point, but no zerks. This is the same on each side. Should there be zerks there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2006 Polaris 500 with 2,000 miles and 177 hours. Needs some TLC for sure but seems good. It has original battery, tires, etc. Looks to be 100% original. Some of the plastic is broken. I just bought it yesterday so have not done anything. Looking for a manual and help on what I should do to it... like the info on this thread.

Also, help me understand how to use this site and what websites I should bookmark. Need to buy everything for a turn up just not sure what that should be and where I should buy it. I have a dealer who is about 30 minutes away.

After I clean it up should I take it in and have a dealer look it over as well?

Thanks for any tips and help! Shawn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice summary blueline15;

I see a lot of questions related to fluids. If you direct your readers to Pure Polaris Lube.com they will find a number of useful pages. Here's a quick summary of what's on there:
application guide for ATVs and UTV's for all models from the beginning to current
fluid supersession guide (details how the fluids have evolved) so the user can apply the most current current fluid with confidence (for example the owners manual calls for ADC fluid which is now obsolete and has been replaced by Front Drive fluid). This is located at the end of the application guide.
Oil filter supersession guide
oil change instructions
details about the various fluids and why they're different (for example: front Drive fluid is a custom-designed fluid that performs the jobs of a gear oil, an aircraft/Arctic service hydraulic oil, and a high pressure / high temperature wet clutch lubricant)
oil change Kit Supersession list

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just a couple quick maintenance questions on my 850

I'm sure it's covered in the thread somewhere.
I went looking for 2w-50 at all the parts store. That is what the manual calls for. Of course nobody makes that except Polaris I suppose. I found this thread and read 0w-40. That makes a little more sense. Is that what people are running that change their own oil and don't want to pay a fortune for PS4+? I am going to bring mine to the dealer for its first service but at 19 hours the oil seemed a little low and just wanted to top it off for the rest of the break in. I was thinking in the future I would change my own oil like on my 500's.

One more question is, I started putting the grease to the zerks and noticed I was pumping in quite a bit before it would start coming out which leads to believe either one, I am over greasing or two, the machine didn't get very much grease from the factory. Am I ok to put it right to it. I am a firm believer that a little extra grease never hurts unless you have a seal that could burst.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I'm sure it's covered in the thread somewhere.
I went looking for 2w-50 at all the parts store. That is what the manual calls for. Of course nobody makes that except Polaris I suppose. I found this thread and read 0w-40. That makes a little more sense. Is that what people are running that change their own oil and don't want to pay a fortune for PS4+? I am going to bring mine to the dealer for its first service but at 19 hours the oil seemed a little low and just wanted to top it off for the rest of the break in. I was thinking in the future I would change my own oil like on my 500's.

One more question is, I started putting the grease to the zerks and noticed I was pumping in quite a bit before it would start coming out which leads to believe either one, I am over greasing or two, the machine didn't get very much grease from the factory. Am I ok to put it right to it. I am a firm believer that a little extra grease never hurts unless you have a seal that could burst.
Polaris has gone to a new formula, a 5W50 full synthetic. I would run that over 0W40, just for thecextra protection.
As for grezee, I have heard that some dealers are not doing a good PDI.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You're correct in the fact tht they come empty from the factory. Dealer is supposed to fill them up with grease as part of their set-up that many of them charge you for. They can take 5-10 pumps to fill up depending on how much was oiginally put in.

Rumors are that new ps4 is 5w-50. Many members use 0w-40 forever without issues. Just be sure it's full synth. like Mobil 1.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You're correct in the fact tht they come empty from the factory. Dealer is supposed to fill them up with grease as part of their set-up that many of them charge you for. They can take 5-10 pumps to fill up depending on how much was oiginally put in.

Rumors are that new ps4 is 5w-50. Many members use 0w-40 forever without issues. Just be sure it's full synth. like Mobil 1.

It is 5W50.

PURE POLARIS OIL

When did you upgrade? How do you like it?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
It is 5W50.

PURE POLARIS OIL

Haha, we were typing a response at the same time so I didn't see your reply.

Upgraded at the end of march. Night and day over my 500, like going from a chevette to a corvette. Love the EPS, suspension and saddle (well....the power too ;)

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
It is 5W50.

PURE POLARIS OIL

Haha, we were typing a response at the same time so I didn't see your reply.

Upgraded at the end of march. Night and day over my 500, like going from a chevette to a corvette. Love the EPS, suspension and saddle (well....the power too ;)

That is great!! Let me know how it does over the long haul. Never know when I will upgrade.

Did you trade the 500?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
That is great!! Let me know how it does over the long haul. Never know when I will upgrade.

Did you trade the 500?
Will do. I kept the 500 for now as a spare. They're both paid for so it's not costing me anything but some seafoam and electricity for the battery tender to keep it.

I will say it is very hard to ride it now that I've been driving the corvette ;)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
marine grade grease...got it at the local auto parts store
marine grease is great grease..it does not break down in water an is made for high temps due to trailer wheels...I use it on my truck an bikes...it may cost a bit more but worth it...go to bob is the oil guy an read on it....I tried an experimant...I greased front A arm bushings in Mobil 1 grease....and the rears in Marine grease (forget which brand)..want to say Valvoline...after a month I tore one side of each apart...the fronts were close to dry..the rears were still well packed...bushings were greasy coated well...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ agreed, I use Marine grade grease as well, I cannot remember the brand I bought, friend recommended it. No sense in saving $2-3 a tube now for expensive suspension parts down the road!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts