Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I dint like any of the gas can mounts I found on the web, so I made my own. I don't have any measurements, but here are some pics.........

....what I started with....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
awesome job man, looks great!

·
Registered
214 Posts
How much did it cost to fabricate it? Looks great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the kind words guys!!!

How much did it cost to fabricate it? Looks great.
I had the gas can and some of the metal already, but I bought the flat plate and some grade 8 bolts so I spent about 20 bucks. The next one I make, Ill do a cost estimate.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
VERY nice job!!!

CW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tank holder

Great idea! I was contemplating fabricating something that uses the hitch, but now I like your idea better!

Thanks for sharing your creation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great idea! I was contemplating fabricating something that uses the hitch, but now I like your idea better!

Thanks for sharing your creation.

I had it mounted another way earlier this year, but when I wnt to the Hatfield McCoy trail (which is 20 min away:veryhappy:), a tree fell on me and broke my mount. It wasn't very good anyhow. So the other day, my neighbor had his garage open and I saw a welder covered up in sawdust. I said "whats wrong with it". He said "its broke". So I asked him if I can have it, and woolah it works, 7 dollars later, I have a new welder!!! After fixing it, I decided I needed to fix my gas can mount. So ive been looking for more things to fabricate. Any ideas would help.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind comments!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a great idea...... Fab up some to sell. I'm in for one.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
214 Posts
What would it cost you to buy the materials, your time to fabricate one, ship and still make a profit? I have a 2013 550 XP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have an xp to fabricate on, so ill have to see if the rear is the sane as mine. I'll tally up the costs and post it up when I get it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like the XP rear is different from the regular Sportsman. I do not have one available to fabricate on. So far this mount will work on 2005-2013 Sportsman 400-800 I believe. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I am going back to the Hatfield McCoy trail in a few weeks, and I will be doing some strength testing on the mount before I take any orders. Right now there is a lot of labor in making these mounts so the price will reflect that until I find a quicker way to make these. You are looking at a cost of $79.99+ shipping. This is painted bracket, with grade 8 bolts. You will have to buy the Kolpin jr. gas can and the round mount. These I found on ebay for $47 shipped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fantastic job on that DIY gas can mount! Flows with the bike's lines, clean, functional, and sturdy. OAN, anything you can design/fab to help with this little zombie problem we have down in Texas?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fantastic job on that DIY gas can mount! Flows with the bike's lines, clean, functional, and sturdy. OAN, anything you can design/fab to help with this little zombie problem we have down in Texas?
Lol I laughed so hard man!!! Nothing on zombie armour.....as of right now lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to let you guys know, I am also working on an adapter for this mount so that I can carry a full size spare. I carry another fuel can in my storage bag, so sometimes I would not the back can, but would like a spare tire just in case. As soon as this mount is "trail tested", I will report back.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That does look very nice.... good work!! :D

Just an idea (if you make more or alter/add to current), but have you thought about using a lager diameter tube on the top rail and making a "rear bumper" of sorts out of it as well (just thinking a straight tube, no special bells and wistles..... just yet!)?? Than for your tube ends grab a couple tube caps, like these......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Great ideas!!! I even thought about making a brush guard off of this mount. A bumper would be pretty easy though, so I may try.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got back from the trails. The mount was awesome. I just made one more if anyone is interested. To make it cheaper, I did not include any bolts. This is for just the mount only. You will have to purchase the gas can and kolpin mount separate. 50.00 plus shipping to the lower 48 states.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts