Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a website or some type of direction, for a pretty nice sound system on my Sportsman to be made out of my rear seat box. I have the Quadboss Weekender Seat (Google it) and am thinking that I can easily put some spearker under the handle bars and put radio controls inside box.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks? Looking for specifics on type of radio I should by.... ATVSuperstore didn't really have what I was looking for, for boxes, just RZRs.

Should I be looking into a different direction with radios? My quad gets pretty wet and messy, so this is my only thought to keeping a radio working, since that's really my only "dry spot".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looking for a website or some type of direction, for a pretty nice sound system on my Sportsman to be made out of my rear seat box. I have the Quadboss Weekender Seat (Google it) and am thinking that I can easily put some spearker under the handle bars and put radio controls inside box.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks? Looking for specifics on type of radio I should by.... ATVSuperstore didn't really have what I was looking for, for boxes, just RZRs.

Should I be looking into a different direction with radios? My quad gets pretty wet and messy, so this is my only thought to keeping a radio working, since that's really my only "dry spot".
Check Cabelas and Bass Pro for Marine stereo outfits. They are water proof and would hold up better then an off the shelf car stereo!

·
9,846 Posts
I've seen some guys around here take a plastic Walmart tool box and cut openings in the front to mount a marine stereo and speakers and then mount the box to the front rack. That puts the controls and sound right it front of you. I think they usually run a quick disconnect plug so it can be removed easily if they want.
An ipod with ear buds is a whole lot easier and will fit in your jacket pocket but you can't annoy everyone else on the trail and scare all the wildlife that way.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You will find that those seat boxes are not completely waterproof when being submerged. Cheapest and easiest way is to build you an audio tube out of 6" PVC and attach it to your rack. Then get you a waterproof otterbox for your ipod or iphone with a RAM holder to attach to your handlebars.

Or you could go with a custom setup from triangle triangle atv or brian lane with the snorkels built in.

Or if you know that you will not be submerging the rear box at all, just get you some marine speakers, cut the holes out of the box where you want them, put a small motorcycle amp on the inside of the box, then run your wires. Mount Your ipod/iphone on the handlebars, and jam out. In my opinion I would not bother with a head unit/radio. Ipod is smaller and easier to use. I do not recommend riding around with earbuds/headphones. You should be able to hear whats going on around you. I know this isn't a photo of your storage box, but this is something like what the inside should look like anyway.

·
9,846 Posts
Whatchutalkinbout LC, on thang yo gonna heah wit dat ghetto blasta runnin anyways is THUMP THUMP DITTY THUMP THUMP!!! Know wut I'm say'in? Jus axe any yo homies.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Whatchutalkinbout LC, on thang yo gonna heah wit dat ghetto blasta runnin anyways is THUMP THUMP DITTY THUMP THUMP!!! Know wut I'm say'in? Jus axe any yo homies.

:lmao: Word to yo mother!

OP, I like your idea of mounting it in the rear box (Quadboss Weekender Seat ), But, not knowing how deep you submerge your machine, it's hard to say. If not submerged past top of rear rack very much..... I would think you could installed a set of marine grade speakers in the rear box on either side of backrest (near passangers hips/thights) and an am/fm/cd/mp3 radio in a marine grade enclosure mounted in the rear box with an external black stubby intenna you'd be in good shape!!

Marine Grade radio enclosure.....
Dual MH200 Universal Marine Stereo Housing | Bass Pro Shops

Marine Grade Radio & Speakers.....
Boss® Audio Systems MCK1308WB AM/FM/MP3 Marine Digital Media Receiver with Speakers | Bass Pro Shops

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Watch you sayin' MBN, you tawkin' bout my mudder? :D
:D Yo Mutha'....or is it Yo Mamma?

In the words of Lil Wayne...... "Yaaaaaaaayauh... Whuat?" :spankme:

*****OR*****

You could mount one of these "FLY GHETTO BLASTER" boombox's to the rack!! That would be "Stylin' & Chill"!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Watch you sayin' MBN, you tawkin' bout my mudder? :D
:D Yo Mutha'....or is it Yo Mamma?

In the words of Lil Wayne...... "Yaaaaaaaayauh... Whuat?" :spankme:

*****OR*****

You could mount one of these "FLY GHETTO BLASTER" boombox's to the rack!! That would be "Stylin' & Chill"!!!

WOW....my threads tend to get off topic pretty easily.... Maybe I should start re-wording my OP. My husband is the one that said "Just strap a boombox on the front".... RearBox Seat is best bet...It stays dry for the most part and it will be somewhat weather resistent. THanks for sending me in the right direction for product type!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
No problem & just remember..... it's all "fun & games" until someone looses and eye!

I had added a faring to my last motorcycle and had "marine grade" speakers in that and a marine cover over the sterio face..... but I think you'd want to go more with the marine enclosure I posted on a wheeler anyway. The idea I posted for you is what I intend to do to my wifes (after we buy it, haha)..... Kinda the same idea of a Harley bagger with trunk, speakers under the passangers arm rests was my thought.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't think the sound would be very good coming from the rear of the bike..
I have a feeling that using a truck box as a sub would sound a lot like those kids with a huge sub in there trunk....BooM,RattlE,BooM,RattlE.

Sound waves travel in a longitudinal direction and you would be essentially riding away from the sound all the time. Where as when the sound box is in front of you on the rack its bombarding the rider in front of the waves. Meaning more sound and better clarity.

http://www.science-class.net/Notes/Images_8th_Notes/Longitudinal-Wave.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts