Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Sportsman belts typically break or start slipping when they're beginning to fail? Or could it be either? I just got a great deal on an '08 Sportsman 500 HO EFI with about 1300 miles on it. Haven't even take it out for a long ride yet. Should I replace the belt? Inspect the belt? Can I expect some warning when the belt is failing, or will it just break in the worst possible location?

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
At the very least you should inspect the belt for any obvious wear or damage. Myself, I would go ahead and spend the $60 or so and replace it if you have any question about it. If you don't know how it was ridden before you bought it, I would just replace it and forget about it. You know that if it breaks, it will always happen in the worst place possible.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Just wondering if they have a tendancy to slip first or just flat out break. Are any brands of belts better than another, or is OEM the way to go?

·
Registered
19 Posts
X3 on the above. I bought a used '06 with 1300 miles on the clock and changed the belt for piece of mind. The old belt looked pretty good so I threw it in the storage compartment as an emergency spare.

I went with a Polaris belt for additional piece of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts