Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a dummy was filling my ATV. Got done grabbed wrong cap . Plastic insert fell into tank.
It's small and thin quarter size ( insert from 5 gallon red plastic jug)Will this cause any problems if left in tank.? Definitely won't dissolve made to be used with gas.Thanks for a quick reply.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd get it out, just because it'd aggravate me knowing its in there.
However I'm note sure what bike you have; but I don't see how it would cause a problem in my tank, maybe the fuel gauge at most.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit about it , it won't plug your intake . Keep looking for it whenever you have the cap off , it'll show up someday .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well I'm guessing it floats, so maybe fill it way up and see if you can reach it with something? If not, I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Plastic doesn't float in gasoline and the contour of the tank makes "grabbers" n other such mechanical devices virtually no good. Also the fuel sending unit with pump n screen could incur damage as a result using such retrieval devices. Unfortunately the safest way to remove that cap is to remove the tank essentially turn it over and shake it out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it... Seems like you are more likely to cause damage getting it out, than you are to have it hurt anything.

Sean

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The screen on the fuel intake will keep it from blocking anything up. So I wouldn't worry about. Some day you'll have reason to pull the fuel pump / sending unit. You can get it out then.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did something like this last year...I took the tank off and shook it out. The sending unit is in there so don't go poking around. It was a fairly easy job, took less than 1-1/2 hours, I had a repair book to help guide me. And now I know how to replace the sending unit if I need to, that cost me plenty when it crapped out a few years back!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts